Yesterday's fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday's fish

.......... fun day ........ started early ......... Doc arrived right on time .......... backed up the truck and hooked up the trailer and off we go ......... well almost ..... just out of the driveway the brakes gave out. Backed the trailer into the driveway and headed to my favorite auto shop .... Hollenshades ......... Don was a lifesaver. Took us right away and 2 hours and $400 later we were on the road .......... stopped off at Easton Kayak to say Hi to Ryan and found 1 of the buddy bearings was missing. Went to West Marine a block away and someone even installed it for us. Back on the road ..... started to wonder about those 15-17 mph winds that were forecast when some trees were REALLY swaying. Get to Cherrystone and hear a clanking behind the trailer ......... lost both screws holding on the trailer light .......... then the trailer is not on the site ........... it wasn't put on the list ....... trailer is pulled out and put on the site and set up. Off to Chris's to get bait ......... Chris said we might want to take a ride to the Wise Ramp first .......... she was right .......... winds between 30 - 40 mph from the NE.

Well ........ washed out .......... at least we had a good time laughing at it all ........ and a GREAT Stingray's dinner.

Today we are finishing breakfast and then off to check the conditions to see if we fish or head home .........

So much for the weatherman

Doc is just bad luck - take it from someone who knows. Something always breaks when he is around twice I've had the head on my trolling motor break - just because he's sitting on the back deck certainly he exudes bad karma.
    HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Yeah, you're right, MM- got to laugh...life is always throwing us curve balls...just got to go with the flow- a day spent with a good friend trying to fish under less than ideal conditions makes for some good memories as well as those red letter catching days when everything just falls into place and you slay them-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think it's called preventive maintenance...

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
          I think it's called preventive maintenance...
          or rather the lack of...

Anyway, I just got a call from Doc and the wind is howling and the tide is running strong, probably no fishing today.

Comment

Yup. Who needs it right?

Comment

If you guys see fit to blame for the bad things that happen to you and your equipment when we go fishing together then here is a suggestion.... Do Not Take Me Fishing... and then if nothing goes wrong you can credit me with that....
              http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
              484-459-9863
              If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
              *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

I hear ya, Doc- lots of folks know that I sometimes fish in marginal wind conditions- last year Bill and I fished in 40 mph west winds but we picked a place where we were able to- and we caught a nice mess of fish-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Well the continuation of the trip ......... finished breakfast and went to the car ........ had been cloudy and 51 degrees ......... now it was misty and the wind seemed to have picked up a little. Took a trip to Chris's .......... Chris said it was doable now but it was supposed to get worse ........... went to the Wise ramp and the mist turned to a light rain ......... the wind was doable at the time ........ we saw a 20 ft CC drifting fast with 3 guys fishing with different baits ......... not a bite ........... water was VERY cloudy .......... and the wind picking up so we decided to pack up an come home. Finished closing the trailer as the winds seemed to lessen ........... the water on the bay side at Cherrystone had calmed some but we figured it was a lull and left ............. Got to the MD line and the sun was out and less windy so we decided to try around Crisfield. Went to Janes Island landing and talked to some people that said nothing was doing around there so we found a great seafood place ....... had lunch and headed home.

Came across the Bay Bridge and the bay was almost flat .......... go figure. Howling and raining at CBBT ........ calm and sunny at the BB. Half way across the bridge we heard a squealing and heard it off and on the rest of the way home ......... watched the trailer wheels but saw no smoke or wobble. Made a turn 3 blocks from home and I saw the wheel REALLY wobble .....the bearing went on the wheel that lost the bearing buddy ...... gingerly drove the rest of the way home and into the driveway. At least the bearing lasted 400+ miles. I'm just thankful that all the stuff happened at the most opportune times and we had a safe trip.

Oh and the tires, bearing buddies and lights were all put on last fall and had several short trips on them and checked before I loaded it up. So ...... they were maintained ........ in fact .... new. I've had trailers constantly for 40 years and never lost a bearing buddy or burned a set of bearings or lost a light on any of the trailers until this weekend ............ although I still can't back those things straight ........

Sure hope this is this season's bad luck is over ...........

Comment

I've had trailers constantly for 40 years and never lost a bearing buddy or burned a set of bearings or lost a light on any of the trailers until this weekend ............
                    But you didn't have Doc around. He was there this weekend, hence all your troubles... I rest my case.

Comment

Naaa .......... I think he brought some luck ........... at least the stuff happened at places where it was safe and could get repairs easily ........ and we were able to pull in and have the break line repaired in a little over an hour ........ when have you ever been able to get right to a mechanic without an appointment ......and the bearing give out almost in your driveway after over 500 miles ..... usually have 1 trip per year like this ........ well not as bad as this but usually 1 per year ........

Enjoyed the road trip .......... sure wish it was a fishing trip ......

Oh ....... and This message has been paid for and endorsed by Doc Irv ......

Comment

Rick -

I'm sorry your weekend did not turn out as you planned. You got home safely and can start planning the next trip.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah ....... dang weatherman called for borderline fishing winds Friday, good Wise Ditch floundering winds Sat and low winds for hunting reds on Sunday and possible Monday ......... was hoping for this trip

http://hookedup1.blogspot.com/2013/0...okie-reds.html

Comment

Yeah, too bad about the mechanical events and the no-so-fishing trip.......but you sure made the best of it with the right attitude. It was a bit breezy yesterday at CHSP in Delaware too, but our fishing was protected by the wall. I thought you were going to stay Sunday too, and I think the wx was suppose to be better. Anyway, we'll get the bulls/flounder next time.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Efren ........ I'm sure glad you didn't go ...would have felt REALLY bad steering you wrong .........but yeah ... next time........ breezy wasn't the word down there .....When Chris at Chris's tackle said it was blowing between 30 and 40 at wise, I didn't believe her ........ but the signs at Wise had a low hum from the wind and they were rocking from the wind ...... Hope you guys caught all the tog ......
                              Last edited by Memory Maker; 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X