Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry suit? Waders? Combination of pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry suit? Waders? Combination of pieces?

I'm trying to decide between purchasing some gear to protect me when searching for rockfish in the bay late in the fall or early spring. I understand that drysuits are an expensive alternative, but that they're probably the most protection you can get when you take a spill in cold water. So if you have the money, are drysuits the way to go?
    A dry suit....period.
    33.33%
    A pair of chest waders with a drytop.
    66.67%
    A combination of dry top and bottom, but not a drysuit.
    0.00%
    Save the $$$ and fish when the water warms up.
    0.00%

A dry suit is probably the best option, but I don't think it's the only option by any means. I have a Stohlquist b-pod, which has a neoprene neck gasket that's a lot more comfortable than a latex neck gasket. It has a relief zipper, too, which is really handy.

I used the waders and semi dry top (it had a lightweight neoprene neck gasket) combo, but I didn't find it particularly comfortable, especially because I used three wader belts (one around my chest over the waders, one by my waist over the dry top inner later, and one between the two on the outside of the dry top). Plus, taking a leak was impossible without going to shore. I found a cheap pair of zip up waders that helped with that, though, but it was still pretty awkward.

I also tried a pair of waist-high waders with the semi dry top. The problem with that was that waders that had a long enough inseam for me had a huge waist. Bundling up all the excess material made it impossible to get a good seal between the waders and dry top. I tried it out in the water a couple times, and I thought more water got in than I was comfortable with. I never tried out the chest waders with the dry top. It might have been better.

The dry pants dry top combo seems like it might be good because they're meant to mesh together, but not many dry pants came with booties when I was looking. I didn't want my feet to get wet getting into the yak.

The B-pod has a couple downsides, though. The booties are stupidly small. If you wear a shoe size bigger than 11 or have super high insteps (mine are pretty high), you're feet might not fit. It's cut fairly trim. I got an XXL. The weight range is supposed to be 220-260lbs, and the inseam is supposed to be 34-36". I'm about 200lbs in the winter, and my inseam is 34". I think the suit would be pretty tight if I weight more than 230. Layering would be harder, at any rate. I don't have very broad shoulders, and donning and doffing the suit requires some pretty amusing acrobatics. Fortunately, my back and shoulders are pretty flexible. Broader shoulders would make it tougher to get in, I think. I have to adjust the legs and waist to wear them Hammer-style because the legs are cut trim, which makes pedaling my Hobie more difficult. All these caveats aside, the suit is really comfortable once I'm in, and it seems to breathe really well. I haven't seen many breathable fabrics that can keep up with my sweat output, and this one is pretty close. The two piece combos were definitely sweatier because of all the overlap.

Lastly, I got the dry suit on sale for ~$400-430. I got my semi-dry top for $60 on sale, the zip up waders were either $80 or $100, and the waist highs were $50.

So the dry suit is more waterproof and more comfortable. However, it's more expensive, more difficult to get into, and the fit isn't as customizable. The two-piece combos might not be 100% waterproof (it will vary based on the fit of the two pieces) and make it harder to take a leak, but they're cheaper, easier to get into, and more customizable.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I'm using a Palm Silver semi-dry suit. $280 from Clavey paddlesports. There are pros and cons of each set up. I struggled with the high cost of dry suits until I found the Palm. I've only been out 2 times with it, so need more experience to have a final opinion. I agree with the comments by ictalurus. So far I'm happy.

Comment

I use a pair of Kokatat kayak pants. They have a neoprene waist band that eliminates the need for a wader belt. They are quite comfortable. Kokatat also makes a pair of waders that are similar. If you would use one of the spray tops, made of breathable material, with the neoprene waist band, the neoprene would match up and be ok if you should go over.

If I go over, I can tell you, dry suit or not, my day is going to be over. I am probably going to be alittle wet. I will have probably lost some of my equipment, not always being orgnized. However, with the neoprene seal areas being matched up, only minimal water should get inside the pants. I don't like the seals around my neck. I am not sure they would seal around my beard anyway. I trade off some watertight integretity for ventilation. I am also one who overheats easy. So, cost is not the only concern. Keep in mind all of what the others have said, and this post, and consider what is best overall for you. For me, the wader pants are bad enough. I don't think I could stand being in a body suit like that. As one of the other posts stated, there are alot of things to consider.

Most of the time I wear the pants and just a wind shear sweater. Unless, there is wind and/or rain, I don't get wet. Rain and spray are my main concern. Most of the time I just wear a foul weather top, in wind and rain. That way I can adjust it for ventilation. In cold weather I do wear an inflatable life vest, given all the additional clothes, unlike just shorts and shirt in the summer. It is all a matter of preference.

Good luck with your choices.

Comment

I started in Kayaks by duck hunting in a touring boat in January. The dog rode in the back. The dog never caused us to go over, but I did twice, in January, in New Jersey. Waders with a belt and a rain coat to keep the spray off is more than enough. Just padding kept me warm enough after having gone over, and the belt kept the waders from filling up. Keep a dry bag with some extra clothes and a few heater packs and you will be fine. That was in the days of heavy neoprene. Now I wear my goretex waders with under armour cold gear underneath, and a lightweight goretex raincoat up top. If you're fishing where you can get to shore within 30 minutes, you dont need to invest the money in a dry suit.

Comment

I use an omnisports drytop with a pair of waist waders from bass pro. The waders have a belt that I tighten over the drytop inner flap and then put the outer flap over the pants and tighten the top. The combo works great and I have regularly waded in them this fall with water up to my armpits without getting wet. The drytop has latex gaskets on the neck and wrists that keep water out but take some time to get comfortable. I won the drytop last year at Jamaica Bay so I can't tell you if I would have purchased this combo or not. So far I'm very happy with it and I feel comfortable being out on the water in colder weather now.

Like Bill said, if I dump I'm probably done for the day because of gear casualties and potential other problems. I feel like I would be fairly dry with minimal water in through the neck due to my beard or underarmor top. I am rarely more than a mile or two from shore and I think a dry top would be over kill for my needs. Dry top/waders all the way for me...
            Used to fish more.

Comment

Working...
            X