Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New forum member/new kayak

Hi all -

I just found this forum yesterday while searching online. I am new to kayaking, but not to fishing. I also have a canoe, but prefer my Nucanoe Frontier 12. I bought it earlier this year. I have it rigged up for fishing, with just a few more things to do to it before I consider it done.

In recent years, I have mostly fished fresh water - lakes and rivers. I am into both fly fishing and spin rod. I love to fish - brings back great memories of fishing with my Dad when I was a kid.

I am looking forward to fishing on the Chesapeake. However, I am not familiar with kayaking on anything other than lakes. I am not afraid to do it, just not sure what to expect - what to look out for, what precautions I may need to take, and good points of entry. I have a few launch sites in mind, given to me by a boating friend.

Is anyone else here interested in joining up sometime on the Bay? I live not too far from Columbia, MD. I think it would be good to go out a few times with someone else while they are also out with their kayak, just to get an idea of how things are on the Bay.

Hope to meet some of you here out on the Bay sometime!

Laura
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Welcome!

Comment

I'm not familiar with that kayak; is it stable in choppy conditions and current? Bay conditions change more rapidly and more severely than a lake/river environment so have safety as a priority, know how to self rescue if needed. The species of fish in the bay all have their unique preferences so advice would depend on what you want to target and where. This has some useful links. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...nch-Site-Links also, launch sites http://www.paddling.net/launches/
      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Welcome. I'm new as well. I'm getting my kayak today but I'm gonna do small lake and river first before I head out to the bay. But there are a lot of people here fishing the bay, just go along with them and they'll show you everything you need to know. I hope to go along one day as well.

Comment

Welcome! I live down the road from you in Odenton and purchased a NuCanoe Frontier this year. I have only taken it out once so far on the Rhode river, but look forward to exploring more of the area and the bay this year. I don't have any bay experience yet (outside of a 30' sailboat), but I am looking forward to trying it.
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Welcome. I'm going to try to get out this weekend depending on the whether
            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

One place that is usually productive for catching perch is the Severn River. Annapolis is not too far from Columbia. The perch are just beginning to move into their shallow water shoreline habitats. By the end of May, you can fish at dozens of spots in the tidal creeks off the Severn and have some good light or ultralight tackle fishing. There are three primary places to launch on the Severn.

1) Jonas Green park -- launch off the beach directly into the main river
              2) Tucker St ramp -- launch into Weems Creek, which allows more sheltered conditions. I often catch perch within 50 yds of the launch
              3) Truxton Park - launches into Spa Creek.

When I am not traveling, I often fish the Severn creeks several times a week year round. You are welcome to join me some time.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Nucanoe Frontier is a hybrid kayak. It is said to be extremely stable. I have watched all the videos on Youtube that the company uploaded, in addition to those uploaded by owners of the Frontier.

I will definitely check out those links! Thanks for the info.

Laura

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
                I'm not familiar with that kayak; is it stable in choppy conditions and current? Bay conditions change more rapidly and more severely than a lake/river environment so have safety as a priority, know how to self rescue if needed. The species of fish in the bay all have their unique preferences so advice would depend on what you want to target and where. This has some useful links. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...nch-Site-Links also, launch sites http://www.paddling.net/launches/
                Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

I have taken my Frontier out a few times. So far I love it. To me, it is a great improvement over the canoe I have. I can move all about the Frontier on calm water without having to worry which way its going to tip. It is very stable - but, nonetheless, I keep safety in mind.

Also, with less space to haul stuff, I have learned to minimize what I bring along. One thing I have found so far, is that my puck transducer on my fish finder wont go through the hull - and I have place it down beneath the hatch compartment. I may have to get a transom mount.

Laura

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                  Welcome! I live down the road from you in Odenton and purchased a NuCanoe Frontier this year. I have only taken it out once so far on the Rhode river, but look forward to exploring more of the area and the bay this year. I don't have any bay experience yet (outside of a 30' sailboat), but I am looking forward to trying it.
                  Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                    I have taken my Frontier out a few times. So far I love it. To me, it is a great improvement over the canoe I have. I can move all about the Frontier on calm water without having to worry which way its going to tip. It is very stable - but, nonetheless, I keep safety in mind.

Also, with less space to haul stuff, I have learned to minimize what I bring along. One thing I have found so far, is that my puck transducer on my fish finder wont go through the hull - and I have place it down beneath the hatch compartment. I may have to get a transom mount.

Laura
                    I got a transducer arm over the side from a ram mount on the freedom track. I haven't tried my current config yet, but if it works well, I'll let you know. I'm hoping to get out this Monday. I still haven't hooked up an anchor trolley yet, but I have the pieces for a non permanent install. Have you tried a trolling motor?

Comment

I had a transducer that attached to the outside of my canoe hull with a suction cup. I was told the suction cup was so strong it would be difficult to remove it. Well, unfortunately, it was difficult to keep it stuck to the canoe. Then, after only a few uses, the cable somehow got nicked - and that was the end of that cable.

I haven't tried a trolling motor yet. I think I might one day. For right now, I am enjoying paddling and getting the much needed exercise.

I have the anchor trolley and have found it quite useful.

I tried the GTS Expedition seat, but sent it back for a refund. gtsexpedition.jpg I did not find it to be comfortable with the standard seats that come with the Frontier. I think it would work better with a kayak seat with a back.

Actually, the Frontier's seats are not bad at all - they are fairly comfortable as is. I do have a flotation cushion which I sometimes use as a seat cushion that I always bring with me.

I am interested in hearing how your transducer works. As it is now, I am doing some research to find the best way to hook up the transducer. I have the Humminbird 160 portable unit, which I place on the seat in front of me, held in place with bungee cords. That arrangement works quite well. Its just a matter of getting the transducer to work.

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                      I got a transducer arm over the side from a ram mount on the freedom track. I haven't tried my current config yet, but if it works well, I'll let you know. I'm hoping to get out this Monday. I still haven't hooked up an anchor trolley yet, but I have the pieces for a non permanent install. Have you tried a trolling motor?
                      Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                        I had a transducer that attached to the outside of my canoe hull with a suction cup. I was told the suction cup was so strong it would be difficult to remove it. Well, unfortunately, it was difficult to keep it stuck to the canoe. Then, after only a few uses, the cable somehow got nicked - and that was the end of that cable.

I haven't tried a trolling motor yet. I think I might one day. For right now, I am enjoying paddling and getting the much needed exercise.

I have the anchor trolley and have found it quite useful.

I tried the GTS Expedition seat, but sent it back for a refund. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6769[/ATTACH] I did not find it to be comfortable with the standard seats that come with the Frontier. I think it would work better with a kayak seat with a back.

Actually, the Frontier's seats are not bad at all - they are fairly comfortable as is. I do have a flotation cushion which I sometimes use as a seat cushion that I always bring with me.

I am interested in hearing how your transducer works. As it is now, I am doing some research to find the best way to hook up the transducer. I have the Humminbird 160 portable unit, which I place on the seat in front of me, held in place with bungee cords. That arrangement works quite well. Its just a matter of getting the transducer to work.
                        In the pics below are my first attempt at using the transducer arm. I didn't bring any tools to tighten the bolts with though and it wasn't stable enough to stay put. I have since removed the middle piece and it is more secure now. And I'll keep a leatherman handy next time. I have some room on the Ram mount shelf where I have attached the arm. I plan on putting the VHF radio there when I purchase one. The two seats I have I purchased at a Bass Pros Shops sale for $25 ea. They are pretty comfortable, but I haven't been out for more than 2.5 hours yet.

Nucanoe 1.jpg

Nucanoe 2.jpg

Comment

Welcome. Take advantage of this board and meet some new fishing buddies. There is safety in numbers as well. I fish with DaddyG several times per week and we welcome any newcomer that wants to go along, mostly so we can take your lunch and your drinks

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Welcome aboard. You'll find folks here both friendly and helpful.
                              "I own my own happiness"........ Michelle Obama

Comment

Working...
                              X