PLO Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLO Friday

Thinking of fishing Point Lookout Friday- lousy tides but the wind forecast (SE 12) favors fishing fairly close to the beach at Cornfield Harbor up and down the beach from the jetty to the lighthouse- should be some fish around...probably school stripers and a few specks with a redfish or two thrown in...beats sitting inside watching the rain...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Croaker are showing up now in that area too.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Wish I could join you Ron! Someone recently caught a keeper redfish here the other day, and schoolies are plentiful at times. Let me know how things go out there!
      Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

I'll give you a call and maybe we could have a cup of coffee after I get back in- the winds dictate launching in Lake Conroy at the camping store- be really bumpy on the Bay side but should be nice and smooth on the Potomac River side until you get a half mile or so out- then it would be bumpy there

Comment

Definitely give me a ring! I headed out after work today to no success, but I was just looking to enjoy a few hours on the water.
          Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Had a blast- I really don't know how many Stripers I caught- quit counting after forty- but I caught a few more after I decided I was too tired to keep on- most were schoolies- had a few over 18 inches, one around 24 inches- fished three hours and quit- had the yak in the truck in the parking lot talking to Talon Angler at 3 p.m.
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              Had a blast- I really don't know how many I caught- quit counting after forty- but I caught a few more after I decided I was too tired to keep on-
              Wow, sounds like fun. Are you talking about Striper, croaker, drum, all of the above?
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Ryan- it was all stripers- I was hoping for some redfish, but I'm not complaining- the action was fast and furious- I caught them on every cast for a while when the tide was coming in-

Comment

Nice going Ron. Glad you had a good day. I am going to give it another go next week.

Comment

When I launched, I noticed big schools of mud minnows in the shallows next to the shoreline- in trout fishing we are advised to "match the hatch." I bet we are missing an opportunity here- fishing with live mud minnows under a DOA clacker cork like they do for redfish in the gulf coast might result in some nice full stringers....

Comment

did you catch trolling or casting? Did you fish the areas you planned to due to wind?
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I caught the first fish 300 feet from the launch trolling away towards the inlet, right by the pole marking the channel- it was a 16 inch striper and it took a 1/8 oz. bright chartreuse jig head with a 4 inch gulp- most of my fish were caught casting, but when I got tired, I just stopped and rested for a while and then would troll until I found the school again then I would cast to them- I got tired of catching the medium sized ones and went offshore to the lighthouse at the point in 45 feet of water and trolled everything in the tackle box- I talked to two boats out there with down riggers and boards- they hadn't caught anything, so after an hour of good exercise I went back to where I started and started catching them all over again- I hooked two really nice fish around the mouth of the inlet a little ways off the rock jetties- one I landed and it was nearly 24 inches the other threw/pulled the hook when I was trying to lip it at the boat- it looked to be about the same size- I didn't hook any redfish at all, so I know they were supposed to be there but I did not get any- no trout nor croaker- but I did not bait fish

[URL=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ronaultmtd/media/DSCN0210.jpg.html][/URL
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

so sad the weather report is for thunder today...doubt i'll chance it. Schoolies are thick in So. MD it seems.

Comment

nice picks BTW

Comment

Good job Ron. A 40+ fish day is pretty much fun.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X