No announcement yet.

Mini Umbrella Rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never did get to try the parachute( couldnt find it in my truck) but i will this spring. that one in the video looks just right very small.

that guy in the video was only going 2.8 mph thats like walking with the turbo fins, pretty slow peddle. i was going to convert an old fluke spreader by adding a 3rd spot to drop back a bucktail or large fly.

capt. walt of light tackle charters says in his seminars that large top water poppers and fresh herring are the ticket on the flats

Comment

What flat are you talking about? Like the Keys. That water is very clear. I thought you were talking about flats around here.

Comment

Susky flats - if the wind isn't blowing and the dam isn't pushing a ton of water through it can be clear up there. I talked to Captain Sean Crawford about it at length last spring and he gave me the idea for the large profile daisy chain fly rig. He uses flies in the 7-14 inch range and sight casts 10wts for 30-40''+ fish.

Hard part about the flats seems to be timing it right with the weather and the spawning run. I think last year was a pretty tough fishing year compared to others, hopefully this year will be better.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

Yes, that can be difficult. Too much flow or spring rain will affect the clarity of the water. That happens on the upper Potomac also, when I want to go Smallmouth fishing. You can also tie flies on little brass rivets, like the flounder rigs. The tube fly idea was also a good one.

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about flats like in the Keys. I was going to say not to use any wire.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
            Yes, that can be difficult. Too much flow or spring rain will affect the clarity of the water. That happens on the upper Potomac also, when I want to go Smallmouth fishing. You can also tie flies on little brass rivets, like the flounder rigs. The tube fly idea was also a good one.

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about flats like in the Keys. I was going to say not to use any wire.

Good Luck
            i wish!

its a fine line that brings the big ones in with the right water temp and flows from the dam. i cant rember the exact temp but someware between 48 and 55.

Comment

Working...
            X