Is this a croaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a croaker?

I saw this fish, but it looked too dark to be a croaker. Can one of you experts help me out?
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Looks like a whiting
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Northern Whiting Kingfish- delicious white flakey meat
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Been a while since I've seen one of those. Caught some in NJ as a kid.
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Well I'm proud to announce that some have relocated to the chesapeake bay. This one was hooked about 100 yards off the rocks at Shady Side - Columbia Beach using bloodworms on a hand-tied double bottom rig with dropper loops.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

They are in the same family as the sea mullet I believe. I catch a lot of those from the surf in hatteras during the summer.

Comment

Sea mullet is the same fish, just another name- and they are a favorite pier catch off the carolina coast- excellent table fare- I have caught them up to a couple of pounds- usually catch them when fishing for spot on pieces of bloodworms
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm no expert...we also call them roundhead in Carolina..if you catch them regular...You will forget about eating other fish.

Comment

its a virigina mullet. (whiting). so your telling me you caught it near shady side in the middle bay???

Comment

Yup!....that there would be a whiting. Yuuuummmmmmmmmyyyyyyy!
                    Captain Kevin
                    Live each day as if it's your last....because one day you're going to be right.
                    Ocean Kayak Torque "Sunrise"

Comment

dang, whiting and that weird spotted hake i caught? maybe this year will be another weird year. if its salty enough for whiting the drum should def be here. i dont know where the croakers are. whereever they are, they are late?

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
                        its a virigina mullet. (whiting). so your telling me you caught it near shady side in the middle bay???
                        Sure did. I was surprised too. Obviously didn't know what it was. At first I thought it was a channel cat - but no whiskers. Then I was thinking maybe a black drum (because I've never seen one in real life) or a very strange looking croaker. At any rate, I was not far from the shore. I was about 3:30 pm so I think the tide was coming in slightly at that time on Friday. Columbia Beach is in Shady Side, just south of the West River and north of Deale.
                        Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

a few charter captains we know caught a few whiting around deal last year while catching their spot for livelining, i wish they were here in big numbers

Comment

Delicious fish right there.
                            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                            X