Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyster bed locations

Hey folks!

I'm new to kayak fishing but not to kayaking or fishing. I have a few questions I hope you can help with. I've seen maps of oyster bed locations before, but I can't seem to find them again. I'm interested in launching from downs park, spsp, and the Severn river. Are there any known beds in close proximity to these places? I'm really a sucker for bottom fishing and I'm hoping the croaker and spot run hard this year.

Also, I would not mind tagging along with a few more experienced fishermen after finals end next week.

Cheers,
    Ryan

P.s. Tom or Rich from bps, point yourselves out to me, please.

spot are here in the south river. no croakers yet. most years its the opposite

Comment

Welcome Your talkin my local waters. I can't help much on the oyster beds but there's a lot of great spots to launch from. Probably the only place I haven't tried is Downs Park because of the drag to the water from the parking lot. I mostly get out late after noon.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Jonas Green is a nice spot to launch on the Severn and there are a few oyster beds within easy paddle. Perch should begin to move in think very soon.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Fisch.Betrunken View Post
          Hey folks!

I'm new to kayak fishing but not to kayaking or fishing. I have a few questions I hope you can help with. I've seen maps of oyster bed locations before, but I can't seem to find them again. I'm interested in launching from downs park, spsp, and the Severn river. Are there any known beds in close proximity to these places? I'm really a sucker for bottom fishing and I'm hoping the croaker and spot run hard this year.

Also, I would not mind tagging along with a few more experienced fishermen after finals end next week.

Cheers,
          Ryan

P.s. Tom or Rich from bps, point yourselves out to me, please.
          If you want to head a little further south there is a great oyster bed in the bay off of Holland Point (Just above North Beach). Our Meet & Greet for this month is there next Saturday. The launch is free and we are having a fish fry afterwards. You are welcome to join in.

Here is a link with all of the info http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t-and-fish-fry

BTW - Tom from BPS is Medicyaker on here.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I've launched from Jonas a few times but never put much effort into fishing so I went without pull.

What time will you be launching on the 18th? I have to work at 2pm but I could fish for a few hours in the morning.

Comment

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...bars/index.asp
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

You're the man! Exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Here is a map of the Severn River showing the oyster bars.

Severn Oyster Survey 2009.jpg
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you, John!

Comment

Many years ago my father would take me to an oyster bed that's almost directly across the Severn from Jonas Green. Following the Old Severn River Bridge(is it still called that? Used to be a drawbridge)just to the right you'll see a small inlet(we called it Cockadoodle Creek) and few piers to the right of that inlet was an oyster bed. I don't know if there was or still is an oyster bed there, but we did catch a lot of white perch at that location. Keep in mind this was 30-35 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X