Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfitting a Wilderness Ride 115

Hello everyone,

I am new to this whole kayak thing and would love any guidance people might have for setting up a Wilderness Ride 115. I was able to buy the Advance but without the angler package. I was advised that the flush mounts in the back are not favored by a lot of kayakers.. sometimes you reach behind and find your rod gone.

Anyway, obviously the Wilderness has the track system so its pretty flexible. Looking to get a crate for the back to hold some rods, put some Scotty's up on the tracks in front of me? If there is an idiot list out there for people like me, point me the way!

Thanks in advance. I hope to repay the favor when I get more knowledgeable. Anyone willing to take out a newb fishing on this thing happy to get out there.
    New to kayak fishing
    Wilderness Ride 115

I keep the front of my 115 pretty clean. I've found that rod holders, etc. up front get in the way of my fishing (primarily freshwater lure fishing for largemouth and smallmouth bass). I have a fish finder mounted up front but that is it. Everything else goes in a hatch or in the back.

You may want to start with just the crate in the back tank well (maybe zip tie a rod holder or two to that crate) and go from there. Try it out for several fishing trips and see what you need and want to add.

Good luck and congrats on the new yak!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks Dave. I like the phased approach for sure. Getting the wife over this first purchase was enough of a chore to add a whole bunch of needs right off the bat.
      New to kayak fishing
      Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

I have a Ride 115 as well. I have four angled flush mount rod holders behind me. Use them all the time, and never lost a rod. I also have a crate in the tank well, with a 3 vertical rod rack on the back. I mostly use that for the visi-pro and for my billy club (snakehead fishing). You can always use rod leashes regardless of were you keep them. Just like Turtle, I keep the area in front of me free and clear.

Comment

Good to know about the front of the boat. Seems consistent so far between the two of you. Not sure what to use the track system in the front for then, but as you say, time will tell as I start to get out into the water. Thanks HearadonCatch for jumping in here and giving me some feedback.
          New to kayak fishing
          Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

If you are lure fishing things up front are in the way. You could mount scotty bases on the slide trax if you want to have removable rod holders if you go chasing kittys and want rod holders up front then. The slide trax makes it perfect. If you get tired of it you can remove it.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Here is my tip...fish it for a while before you hang any permanent additions.I think you find you will "need" less after you fish your rig a bit.You will probably be fishing for a particular species on different outings=LESS CRAP...slide trax will help out for temporary add-ons;THINK TWICE before drilling or mods you can't undo...have a ball...you are hooked now

Comment

I have a Ride135. I have a Scotty on each Trac plus a FF. Just because the Scotty is there does mean you will use it all the time. I use them for trolling, because I can keep a watch on the rod tips, plus they are nice if you are tying on new tackle and can keep the deck clear for what you are doing. I have a rudder, but only use it if the wind/current is messing with my track. The rest of the time it causes a little more drag, and if a fish goes under the yak, you can get line hung up on the rudder. Anchor trolley is a must for most of my fishing, and the Silent System padding helps keep the noise down from the paddle occasionally touching the yak body. Good Luck and enjoy.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention...may be the most important. Duct tape several pool noodles together and stuff them inside your Ride. Most people never realize that a sit on top yak has no flotation inside and will sink like a rock if it has a hatch or hull breach.

Comment

Good to know. Was talking to the sale person about that very thing. He didnt mention to do this but its a good idea.
                    New to kayak fishing
                    Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

Also forgot to mention I had a good conversation with Chad Hoover over at kayakfishinggear.com. Good guy btw, like his style. He thought adding two 90 degree flush mounts are very good things for a few reasons. One, he has never had a lost rod issue with the 90 degree mount. Two, there is some new rod mounts that might be coming to fit in those. Three, and since I mentioned I may eventually add an electric motor to the side for quicker bay fishing, he said some guys put wooden dowls in those, attach a 2x4 and then attach the motor... done.

Thoughts on this? I know I might have already ruined it by mentioning 'motor' but since I am in the Chesapeake Bay it will get me in and out to spots quicker... anyway, thanks for all the feedback and ideas.
                      New to kayak fishing
                      Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

You might want to get up with MemoryMaker. I fished with him last year and he was working out the bugs with a motor and mount. If I recall, it sat on the stern a little off center, and was causing some tracking issues. Send him a PM, he is nice guy and is always working on a new fishing project.

Comment

Will do, thanks Hemingway
                          New to kayak fishing
                          Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                          X