Need some help on fishing the pattuxent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on fishing the pattuxent

next weekend im going on a 15 mile canoe trip on the patuxent river with the boyscouts. ive done it in the susky and caught catfish with livers but other than that ive never been freshwater fishing. well be around jugbay and further up the river. im planning on just taking one 6'6 2 piece rod with a 2000 battle with 15 pound power pro. i dont want to take any of my saint croixs or stradics in case i flip. im planning on taking 2 tubs of night crawlers because they need no refrigeration. i mainly want to catch catfish but what else can i catch? im planning on using carolina rigs for the cats...anyone got any pointers?

That far up river should be fresh water- bass, crappie, bluegill, maybe snakeheads, as well as blue, flathead, channel and yellow catfish-all catfish will hit cut bait, stink bait, minnows, night crawlers, and sometimes small crank baits-in addition to earthworms, I would carry a small Rapala original minnow in fire tiger color and toss that around fishy looking cover on a UL spinning outfit-but that's just me-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nightcrawlers dont have to be refrigerated but the soil needs to stay moist for the worms to stay alive

Comment

what about those power bait catfish stuff. (i don't know if it's power bait). don't anything about it, but i remember seeing some for catfish.

Comment

Catfish eat anything....if it smells/dead they'll eat it.

MetroMan caught big ones on HOT DOGS

Comment

I'll be fishing the lower end of Pax River this afternoon- I'll let you know if they are biting around Solomons-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I fished Jug Bay in my W500 on tuesday. Worms always work well...bring weights to get them on the bottom. Beetle-spins, small spinnerbaits and chatterbaits for crappie, bass, and catfish. Catch some white perch...lots of small ones there now...use them for catfish bait.

Comment

Working...
              X