Snakehead hunting at Leesylvania State Park 05-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead hunting at Leesylvania State Park 05-15

It looks like a nice hot day for my maiden voyage. I plan to hit the water early in the morning and fish until whenever. I've seen guys pulling in Snakeheads and people report seeing them on top water. So, I know they're there. There is $4 dollars parking fee to get in but car top launch is free. Feel free to join me, the more the merrier.

Khanh

Good luck fishing today! Give us a good report.
    I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Comment

Well, not good I'm afraid. No snakeheads caught today, but I did find out a spot where they like to hangout.

Here is the whole trip. I started out late 9:00ish. I throw Striking sexy frog, Koppers Hollow Belly Frog Bait around 1-2 feet out of the vegetation with no hit what so ever till noon. Around noon I have to go pee, which also raise the question? where/how? I paddled back to marina (about half a mile, I think) in choppy condition. I like my new kayak from Jeremy, it handle chops very well. I"m a total newbie yaker and I did not feel unstable.

When I get back, I was desperate so I pulled out all the spinner bait and tried. I hooked on to a fish but my lines got all tangled at the same time. I tried to fix my line and the fish keep pulling, I couldn't fix my line with it pulling the line at other end. After 10 minutes, it's unhooked and got away. Man, I hope it wasn't a snakehead or I'll be piss but I will never know.

After that I got two bite but fail to set hook. I set the hook as soon as I feel the strike. Is it wrong for spinner bait? Do I need to wait before I set the hook? And I got 2 fish follow the bait to my kayak. The funny thing I did caught something.

Anyway, big skunk on the Snakehead. But I'll be back.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the report, too bad you didn't have better results, but you had a good day to be out there.

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
        Around noon I have to go pee, which also raise the question? where/how?
        Carry an empty gatorade bottle.

Comment

But not an empty bottle that held yellow or orange gatorade....trust me on this...
          Chesapeake Beach Bum.

Cluttering up the twin beaches

Comment

Originally posted by ChpkeBeachBum View Post
            But not an empty bottle that held yellow or orange gatorade....trust me on this...
            Orange? Really?

Comment

Working...
            X