Maryland Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Suggestions

I moved to the Leesburg, VA area two years ago and have kayak fished the upper and lower Potomac as well as most of the other VA rivers, lakes and reservoirs within a 90 minute drive of the house. This year I bought a MD license so that I could try some new waters. I am about 10 minutes from the Point of Rocks bridge, and I am looking for suggestions for places to try in MD. My preferences: freshwater, an hour or less drive to the water, weekday fishing, artificial lures only, and a reasonable chance to catch fish although getting skunked occasionally doesn't bother me. What places would you recommend?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

It's more than an hour, but Deep Creek is a beautiful place to fish. There are also a couple of reservoirs near Baltimore - Loch Raven and Pretty Boy. I've never fished them but understand they hold some really nice fish.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

From Leesburg,

Cunningham falls lake north of Thurmont, Black Hills lake in Germantown Md. , Little Seneca State Park in Germantown Md. Deep Creek is a good 2+ hour drive, Rocky Gap in Cumberland, Greenbrier State Park near Frederick. The Upper Potomac has enough fishing to keep most Kayak enthusiasts busy for a lifetime. Above Williamsport is Musky territory, and just south of Dam #4 is prime Walleye water. That's just in case you get tired of catching smallies.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
        It's more than an hour, but Deep Creek is a beautiful place to fish. There are also a couple of reservoirs near Baltimore - Loch Raven and Pretty Boy. I've never fished them but understand they hold some really nice fish.
        Loch Raven and Prettyboy require that a kayak not be used in other watersheds (Zebra Mussels) so those are out too.

Comment

You've already mentioned the Upper Potomac, but there so many opportunities there: Violet's Lock, POR, Lander, Brunswick, and further upstream, Shepardstown, Snyder's Landing and Taylor's Landing (my favorite) are all good areas. Smallies, Catfish, Sunfish, with the occasional surprise Walleye and Muskie are the target species.
          The Monocacy River is also not far away.
          If you prefer still water, Tridelphia Reservior, and Rocky Gorge are pretty close to your 1 hour windshield time requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
            I have a week of vacation booked at Deep Creek in August, so I will definitely try there.
            Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
              From Leesburg,

Cunningham falls lake north of Thurmont, Black Hills lake in Germantown Md. , Little Seneca State Park in Germantown Md. Deep Creek is a good 2+ hour drive, Rocky Gap in Cumberland, Greenbrier State Park near Frederick. The Upper Potomac has enough fishing to keep most Kayak enthusiasts busy for a lifetime. Above Williamsport is Musky territory, and just south of Dam #4 is prime Walleye water. That's just in case you get tired of catching smallies.
              Never get tired of catching smallies, but I also enjoy the allure of new places and scenery. Where do you launch to fish below Dam #4, and how long is the paddle to get there from the launch point? Is that section of the river safe for someone who's never been there?
              Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                You've already mentioned the Upper Potomac, but there so many opportunities there: Violet's Lock, POR, Lander, Brunswick, and further upstream, Shepardstown, Snyder's Landing and Taylor's Landing (my favorite) are all good areas. Smallies, Catfish, Sunfish, with the occasional surprise Walleye and Muskie are the target species.
                The Monocacy River is also not far away.
                If you prefer still water, Tridelphia Reservior, and Rocky Gorge are pretty close to your 1 hour windshield time requirement.
                Do Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge require separate permits to fish there? If so, can an out-of-stater purchase them and where?
                Thanks...

Comment

There are two ramps you can use just below Dam 4. One is on the West Virginia side of the river just at the base of the dam. The other is on the Maryland side of Taylor's Landing Road. It's a mile or so below the dam.

Triadelphia is a good lake but hard to fish. It's like a bowl without much cover in it. There's some rockpiles and points that extend quite a way out into the lake that hold fish. Definitely should have a Fish Finder to fish effectively. I catch most of my fish there in greater than 10' of water. Never tried Rocky Gorge. You need a WSSC Rec permit to fish or paddle there. They are available at the Brighton Dam office (inconvenient) or online (convenient).

Deep Creek in the summer is all about patterns. First of all, you need to be a early bird. Get up at first light and get out there. By 10:30 the place fills up with pleasure boaters, and skiers.

Here's some of the main patterns:

1. Docks: Some are better than others but most hold fish. Lower portion of lake has more smallmouths, upper end near Green Glade has more Largemouths. Skip senko's, tubes, and jigs up underneath the floating docks. The farther in you can get the more fish you will catch.

2. Points: In the AM, most points will hold fish. Topwater can be good at this time. Even fish holding at 10" or so will come up to crash topwaters. I had a banner morning on a point near Green Glade one year doing this and must have caught 20 in about two hours.

3. If you throw spinnerbaits and cranks around the coves , there's a good chance you will find pickerel.

4. Drift worms or minnows and follow weed edges in 12" of water. Good chance for Yellow Perch and Bluegill.

5. After Dinner: Go out again about 6:30-7:00 till dark. The drop off just outside the beach area at the state park is good Walleye area. The drop at Turkey Neck is also similar and can have walleye.

6. Lastly, I've not done this personally. Trout hangout in deep water in front of the dam during the summer. Some are huge. You will need to fish minnows, gulp baits etc. in 25' - 40' of water. They will suspend and you will need a Fish Finder to mark fish.

Good Luck.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Runnin,
                    I'm really impressed...someone sure knows these waters well.
                    Thanks for the help.

Comment

when launch a Kayak at Dam 4 you can cross the canal with a kart and launch from Dam 4 road in MD. Park near the double red gates and go in there and can fish the dam and islands around it. The WV ramp is called the Scrabble boat ramp right next to the power plant. When the water is up the current right off the ramp is a Beyatch to deal with in a kayak! This best a low water spot.

Dam 5 is the same on the MD side
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                      X