Weems Creek sewage spill - heads up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek sewage spill - heads up

Many MKF members enjoy launching from the Tucker St ramp into Weems Creek. You may want to skip this launch for at least a few days and check the Dept of Public Works website listed at the end of the post. The May 16 issue of the Annapolis Capital contained the following notice:

ANNAPOLIS - The Anne Arundel County Health Department closed Weems Creek on Wednesday because of a sewage spill.

Until further notice, the order warns against swimming and other direct contact with the water in a section of the creek stretching from its headwaters to Rowe Boulevard.

Anyone coming in contact with the water is advised to immediately wash with soap and warm water. Clothing should also be washed.

The break was isolated at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, officials said. County officials reported the the Maryland Department of the Environment they believe the event started at 2 p.m.

Approximately 120,000 gallons of sewage escaped into the creek. Crews were able to recover 1,500 gallons of it at the scene.

Two tanker trucks were seen on Admiral Drive around 5 p.m. pumping sewage from a manhole near where the headwaters of the creek pass under the roadway.

“We isolate the break and then take out what we can,” said Matt Diehl, spokesman for the county Department of Public Works.

Diehl said there was a break just two weeks ago in the same force-main pipe just below the pumping station.

“That pipe is due to be replaced,” he said. “The contract has been let, but we are waiting for the notice to proceed with the work.”

Diehl said this morning the engineering department is working to speed up the contract review process and get the project moving this week.

“Once the contract is approved by Office of Law, a purchase order will follow immediately," he said in an email message. "When we get the purchase order, the notice to proceed to the contractor will be issued and the preconstruction meeting will be scheduled.”

For updates on the status of the closing, visit the Health Department's website, www.aahealth.org, or call 410-222-7999.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Ugh
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

So the pipe will be replaced sometime in the next ten to twenty years...

If it weren't for red tape, the spill might not have happened. Gotta love beaurocracy.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

John,
        Thanks for the head's up.
        S****y news, indeed.
        I was just getting ready to head out there for my shakedown cruise.
        Looks like I'm now headed to Jonas Greene.

Comment

One spill and 120,000 gallons. Who's polluting the bay, the treatment plants!! Many don't even make the news.

How much farm and neighborhood runoff do you need to equal this.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

That's twice this year!
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nasty. Thanks for the heads up.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Deja Vu!!! SMH. Someone needs to be held accountable for this type of stuff!

Comment

May 23 - The Anne Arundel County Health Dept reopened Weems Creek for water contact recreation based on the results of water quality sampling. I plan to launch from Weems later today and see how the perch are doing in the outer portion of the creek.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    May 23 - The Anne Arundel County Health Dept reopened Weems Creek for water contact recreation based on the results of water quality sampling. I plan to launch from Weems later today and see how the perch are doing in the outer portion of the creek.
                    Just keep an eye out for floaters!
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Not again! Thanks for the update John. I also look forward to your report.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I understand the "brown trout" may be running. Good luck
                        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

The famous Weems Creek Brown Trout!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                            The famous Weems Creek Brown Trout!
                            Alright -- two guys already mentioned the brown trout -- who will be the turd guy?

Weems looked fine today. I fished the outer section from the Ridgely Ave bridge to the mouth. I caught only 1 perch in Weems -- they just aren't there in strong numbers yet.

I paddled upstream to visit the Cove of Cork. Between the two creeks, I trolled three ultralights with small spinners. I managed to catch an 18" and a 12" rockfish that hit a spinner arm with a white minnow shaped plastic. The 18" fish gave a nice fight on the ultralight rod. I caught three more small perch in the Cove of Cork.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Turd guy. Well played, John. Sorry to hear the perch aren't here yet. Maybe next week.
                              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                              X