Lews reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lews reels

Has anybody ever used lews bait cast reels nice looking reels good reviews on the internet. Need a good all around bait caster whats a good gear ratio good rod to pair with it want something I can bass fish with but also go jig at SPSP am I dreaming or is there something that versatile out there.
    Donny B.
    OK Big Game Prowler

I learned how to use a baitcaster using a Lews Speed Spool back in the early 90s. Fishing the coves of Smith Mt Lake looking for stripers at night. Epic birdsnests at first!

Last year I noticed the new versions at Dicks Sporting Goods. I bought the "slower" reel and I love it. Great feel, smooth as butter and for me, the speed is just right.

Can't go wrong with a Lews reel!

Comment

Talk to gkreps on here, that is what he uses.

Comment

I have the new BB1 baitcaster, a renovation of an old classic. It's mainly a fresh water reel. It's has a low 5.1:1 ratio for wintertime crankbaits. I have no complaints, but I would not rely on it in the salt.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have three of the Lewes speed spools and they are fantastic reels. I use them mainly for bass fishing, they are compact and light weight.

Comment

I just started using baitcasters about a month ago, and like you I checked out the reviews on a lot of reels. I chose the Lews Speed Spool and love it..I've since bought another, both are the 6:4:1 left hand retrieve. They are very light, compact, and very easy to use for a beginner...virtually no bird-nesting if your careful and follow the directions for setting the lure weight. I would highly recommend the Lews baitcaster.
            John

Cuda 12
            F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegill View Post
              Has anybody ever used lews bait cast reels nice looking reels good reviews on the internet. Need a good all around bait caster whats a good gear ratio good rod to pair with it want something I can bass fish with but also go jig at SPSP am I dreaming or is there something that versatile out there.
              I purchased a Lews speed spool in a low gear ratio (5.4:1) to use specifically on one of my crank bait rods. So far its been a fantastic reel, i've thrown everything from a Norman baby N to a 6XD or D22 and it works great. Spooled it with Sunline Sniper FC fluro and matched it up with a Powell 7ft Med Hvy. crankbait rod and its been a great set up for crankbaits.

As far as a good all around setup, I would go with a gear ratio right down the middle like a 6.4:1. I think you would be able bass fish as well as work heavier jigs. As long as you set your self up with a quality line on the reel I dont think you would have a problem. Now tinkering with line size/diameter may take a little time to find a nice happy medium that would be stout enough for working a slightly heavier metal jig and withstanding the initial thump/hookset of a nice jig bite but still being light enough to work your more finess type baits for finicky bass.

Hope this helps you out.
              Tight Lines - S.Dobbs

Comment

Working...
              X