Jig Fishing Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig Fishing Info

I belong to North American Fisherman watched this video on their web site, www.fishingclub.com

http://www.fliqz.com/aspx/permalinkb...363e79051abee9

This guy seems to think the more radical the jig the better the bite. He also has a good article in the magazine showing how to make your jig do a figure eight.

"Let the bait sink to within a couple feet of the bottom or cover before giving a sharp rip with the rodtip. He follows up with a split-second pause, and two rapid slaps against semi-slack line, which sends the lure into a gliding figure-eight.

Looks like the wind is going to die down in the next couple days, will try to get out and gvie this technique a try.

Thanks for the information. That seems to be what has happened here. No matter what you swim past the fish in regular fashion, crankbaits or swim shads, the fish seem to be in a negative mode. The vertical jigging is an erratic motion also. He seems to be right on point. I am going to give vertical jigging a try. This is the perfect time to work on that sort of system. I will probably fish till striper season is over, then move on to other kayak and fishing tackle related jobs, needing to be done before spring.

Again, thanks for the information, and good luck with your testing.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      Thanks for the information. That seems to be what has happened here. No matter what you swim past the fish in regular fashion, crankbaits or swim shads, the fish seem to be in a negative mode. The vertical jigging is an erratic motion also. He seems to be right on point. I am going to give vertical jigging a try. This is the perfect time to work on that sort of system. I will probably fish till striper season is over, then move on to other kayak and fishing tackle related jobs, needing to be done before spring.

Again, thanks for the information, and good luck with your testing.

Ok ......... couple of things I've learned about cold water fishing (jigging) over the decades. First is to slow down ......... if you find the fish they will usually bite it you use the right lures. Lures that stay in 1 place and dance. Second ....... downsize the bait. During the summer months when crappie fishing I would use up to 1/4 oz jigs and shad darts. In the Winter I'd use 1/32 - 1/64 oz jigs to catch most of the fish. Third....... use some type of trailer with scent and action to entice. Minnows, clams, gulp, and the bloodworm substitute (can't think of the name)

Many years ago a few of us would fish the Susqy around the depths in the Port Deposit area. We would find the fish and then jig shad darts with minnows and load the boat with srtipers.

A Couple things to try that no one else is using ........ shad dart and minnow ........ lightly jig, rip then flutter then stay still for up to a minute and repeat ......

http://www.rapala.com/products/lures/jigging_lures/ ....... rapala jigging raps are deadly on perch and rock ...... sharp short jerk then let the rod tip follow on a barely slack line ...... the lure jumps straight up then corkscrews around in up to a foot circle, hold still for up to a minute and repeat ......

a french lure called the picol'eau that has incredible action but you might have to buy it from England ...... you can use it in many ways but let it go down on a barely slack line ans it wiggles like crazy ........ there was a you tube video of it .... http://delalande-peche.fr/?page_id=17

Swedish Pimples ........ larger ones ....... verticle jig with a small gulp bloodworm

etc

Try these before you give up .........

Comment

I fully agree with the minnow tipped jig. A minnow tipped bucktail used to be one of my standards. As I said in one of the other threads, the bucktail gets the fish't attention and the minnow closes the deal. That is a deadly combination.

However, I think I am going to try the metals and a drop shot type of rig, just to see if I can master the tactic. I have jig fished many other species, but the vertical jig with striped bass is one that I have not tried. Possibly because I have not been a cold water fisher in the past. I just have a hard time putting the kayak away.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
        X