Locking down your kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking down your kayak

Unfortunately I don't have a garage, so I have to keep my kayak outside. I was always worried about how I was going to secure it, or lock it down to something, but I ran across this locking system. It should also work well for securing it to a vehicle when you will be away from it for a little while. They come with cable lengths from 6-30 feet. I just got 12 and 20 foot locks. The cables are not permanently attached to the lock, so can easily swap out longer/shorter cables for different applications.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BsE56w2sXH4
    BRETT
    Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

^interesting concept
    i just bought a 6' master lock cable lock from HD. i can run it through a scupper hole and around the roof rack. bought an extra cable with looped ends so i can lock it through my hitch when hanging off the truck. i also now store my yaks outside and just lock them both together with both cables
    sigpic

Comment

I use the master locks you showed on youtube they work great easy too get around or through tight spaces. And I do the same as stupidjet two cables on the hobies together one cable on the asends together and I live in a good area...
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Like!
        Don Haller
        Chesapeake Beach, MD
        Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
        – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

like the lock seems simple I use a 6 footer from harbor freight and a master lock but I am always searching through the trunk when I forget to put the lock on the cable for storage might have to upgrade at some point
          D Hawk
          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I'm also looking for an anchor or tie down that can be concreted into the ground. Then I can chain my trailer and boat to it. Something like the anchors used at airports for anchoring small aircraft. I'd like to find something that sits flush or in a recess in the ground so I can run the mower over it when not in use and that is not too expensive.
            Don Haller
            Chesapeake Beach, MD
            Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
            – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

For the average thief, cable locks work...but to the real kayak thief, he carries bolt cutters and cable locks are just an ornament to him. Here on the Severn about 3 years ago, 2 kayak thiefs stole over 60 kayaks right from the community kayak racks. Most were cable locked...mine was, it was gone. Got real lucky and the police found it at a pawn shop in Annapolis. So I was able to recover. They caught the thieves selling kayaks off the community racks. They would steal them, move them to other racks, then advertise them. They sold about 10 to the pawn shop. Known drug dealers...I live on the water, great neighborhood...thieves love nice neighborhoods because there is nice stuff.
              I went and got rebar....I buried a chain stake in the ground about 3 feet down, and bent rebar onto the chain stake..covered with dirt. Put a steel box with a key lock on the rebar. Bolt cutters will not cut rebar...at least the ones you buy at home depot will not.

Comment

I keep my kayak on a trailer. I use a good quality motorcycle cable lock that runs through the Mirage Drive hole, and around the trailer frame. I also use a lock on the trailer tongue.

More important, I buy insurance for the kayak. It cost me $100 a year to insure the kayak, trailer, electronics and $2000 worth of accessories. Money well spent for the peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                X