Fishing for the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing for the table

This time of year I am torn- trophy, big-fish, lots of pullage or fishing for the table? Speckled trout are not terribly big- I've caught them up to seven pounds (gator trout), but they typically run (minimum legal) about a pound to a pound and a half- the big ones are fun to catch on light tackle, but the smaller ones are just for the table- great eating, but kinda like flounder fishing- like pulling in a big gob of seaweed- (hiint- never lift a flounder's head out of the water- never- that triggers a response that has to be experienced- keep them in the water and dip them with a large landing net.)

Anyway- Mid-May is the hot time of the spring fishing season- this week the first Cobia was landed on Jennette's Pier-big black drum are showing up at the C-10 buoy, big red drum are on the eastern shore and the surf, flounder, bluefish and croaker are being caught throughout the Tidewater area waters- from now on...it is on- everything is on the menu- do I packup my gear and head south to the OBX for some heavy-duty pullage or do I fish locally for the table? Oregon Inlet is beckoning to me, but so are the Mattawoman catfish and snakeheads...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Nice problem to have...
    ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl330 View Post
      Nice problem to have...
      Agreed, whatever you decide to do please leave us a report.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

OBX is on my list for June for a weekend. I've fished it many times, it can be really productive either ocean or sound side. Oregon Inlet can be sketchy with a fast current and waves depending on the weather, especially if fishing from a kayak. Lots of big fish there!

Usually, at least one side (ocean or sound) is fishable during a breezy day since the island does a pretty good job of blocking wind.

I have a list of spots/launches if anyone wants them.
        Dave
        2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Ron, you have all summer to fish for the table. For now, I would go for some nice pullage....
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFX35 View Post
            I have a list of spots/launches if anyone wants them.
            please! Headed down there in August!
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I'd have to agree with Grilled. We've never met, but, I can recall so many times you couldn't get out and fish because of your work. Sounds like now is the time for the big fish that fight like hell.

You can always squeeze in a quick table fare trip in here and there...

Comment

I am two years away from retirement...still squeezing in fishing trips in far away places like Mosquito Lagoon, Colombia Gorge, and Alaska during my business trips- big fish are fun, but I have caught lots of monster fish that most folks wouldn't even believe possible; that is way too much work for me nowadays to call fun- my favorite fish are medium "monster fish" of the inshore variety that are 100 pounds and less- in my book the spunkiest red drum is a 40 pounder- anything bigger is slower, less agile and does not have as much endurance- a 60 pound Cobia will beat you down and a 50 pound amberjack will kick your butt- a 30 pound jack cravelle is a beast as is a 30 pound snook- getting a 12 or so pound spanish or Cero on live bait a few hundred yards off the beach is a blast- reel screamers- a ten pound false albacore will make you think you have a much larger fish and a 70-100 # medium size tarpon in shallow water will test your tackle and skills like nothing else....all fun; all fish available to us within a few hundred miles radius- anyone on this forum can plan a trip to the NC lower outer banks/ South Carolina Myrtle Beach area and have a shot at everything I have mentioned except the big snook- Tampa Bay is where I got mine-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've caught plenty of big fish throughout my life but Ohhh how I enjoy catching amberjacks, tough fish.

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  I am two years away from retirement...still squeezing in fishing trips in far away places like Mosquito Lagoon, Colombia Gorge, and Alaska during my business trips- big fish are fun, but I have caught lots of monster fish that most folks wouldn't even believe possible; that is way too much work for me nowadays to call fun- my favorite fish are medium "monster fish" of the inshore variety that are 100 pounds and less- in my book the spunkiest red drum is a 40 pounder- anything bigger is slower, less agile and does not have as much endurance- a 60 pound Cobia will beat you down and a 50 pound amberjack will kick your butt- a 30 pound jack cravelle is a beast as is a 30 pound snook- getting a 12 or so pound spanish or Cero on live bait a few hundred yards off the beach is a blast- reel screamers- a ten pound false albacore will make you think you have a much larger fish and a 70-100 # medium size tarpon in shallow water will test your tackle and skills like nothing else....all fun; all fish available to us within a few hundred miles radius- anyone on this forum can plan a trip to the NC lower outer banks/ South Carolina Myrtle Beach area and have a shot at everything I have mentioned except the big snook- Tampa Bay is where I got mine-

Comment

Working...
                  X