Carp bait/lures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carp bait/lures?

I was out fishing the Severn this morning and noticed a fair number of large carp. They were very slow moving and surface feeding. Any suggestions on how to catch these things?

In England we would use sweet corn

Comment

As mentioned by Mini-X, corn is an inexpensive alternative.
      You can "chum" an area to attract them by throwing out a handful.

Doughballs, made with corn flakes, or shredded wheat, flour and strawberry jello is a "high tech " carp bait.

In England they have carp tournaments, and the tackle is quite sophisticated.

Also, if the cicadas show up, a cicada on a hook (hard to cast) works.
      And occasionally, you'll find them camped under mulberry trees, where a mulberry fly ( a lump of black wool spun around a hook) will catch them.

If you are fishing from a yak be ready for a sleigh ride!

Comment

x3 on the corn. last year, I went for carp in a stream and let the corn sit in the fridge overnight with a bunch of garlic powder mixed in. I don't know if it changed anything, but I did catch them.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I've watched some real pros and they took a bag of shredded wheat and put enough water into it to mash it up into dough balls. I also started fishing for them because they were so big and strong. They literally don't let up....it's like hooking into a passing boat! Anyway, I use some old white bread (white seems to work the best for me) and mash it up with a few spices. I always keep a bag of it on hand as it comes in handy for catfish too. I understand that fisherman from all over the world come to DC to fish the tidal basin where there are huge carp. Good luck and post pics!

Comment

In my youth, I had great luck with canned corn. Chum with some, and put some on a hook for bait. Cast the baited hook out in the same area as the chum.

I have seen people have great luck with the flour, corn meal, jello mix. A can of corn was as far as I have gone for carp. I was never that much of a carp fisher. However, they do put up a nice fight.

Comment

Working...
            X