Outback or Revo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outback or Revo?

My Outback developed the dread crack in the drive well. Hobie will send me a new hull, and I can choose between another Outback or a Revo. Which should I choose?

I really like the side trays on the Outback and the forward rod holders. I already have a rig that holds my fish finder and camera mount for the Outback. If I get a Revo, I won't be able to use my rig because I'll need forward rod holders. I'd prefer to keep the gunwales clear for reentry and paddling when the drive has a problem. I'll have to shell out for a new system to support my fishfinder and one or two rod holders. I might have to shell out for a new cart, too, if the posts on my old cart don't line up with the scuppers on the new hull. I'd like to keep the cost down if at all possible.

There are some pros for the Revo, though. Hobie has changed the shape of the hull on the Outback a bit, and I'm not sure what performance differences there will be. The Revo should be a little quicker and cut through the waves better. Plus, I've had problems with Outbacks cracking on me (all under warranty), so maybe there's some inherent incompatibility between me and Outback hulls.

I know a lot of you guys have Revos. Did you try an Outback, too? If so, what did you think about the differences between the two yaks?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Bill that's too bad about your Outback! I know Hobies are subject to cracking but seem to have a great warranty. How long does the warranty last?

I'm watching this thread because I have looked at both of these boats in the past and I couldn't decide either! Revo for speed... outback for stability... tough call.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The warranty on the hull is two years, I think. My hull, which I got in 2005, had an extended warranty for two additional that year because Hobie came up with a fiberglass reinforcement to add support to that area. I'm just outside of that extended warranty, so I have to pay ~$200, but that's way better than the alternative. That cost goes up the farther outside the warranty you are.

There are several threads on the Hobie forum and KFS about comparing the Revo and the Outback. I haven't read them all yet, but I thought I'd see if anyone in the area tried both for the kind of fishing we do here.

I'm not sure if there would be much of a speed gain for me because I push the Outback pretty hard as it is. Roadrunner on the Hobie forums did a pretty good comparison between the two and found only about 0.25mph difference between the two using the turbo fins:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...ack+revolution

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...ack+revolution

He's not kidding about the spray from the Outback hull. What I'm curious about is if the changes to the bottom of the Outback hull have changed its performance. Hobie made it flatter with a more pronounced keel since I got my hull. My Outback has a lot of primary and secondary stability, which is unusual. I wonder if the flatter underside sacrifices some of that secondary stability?

I went out and measured my shed this morning, and I think the shed going to make the decision for me. Given the length of the Revo, I'd only have about 4" left to get the Revo onto the saw horses. That combined with the lack of real mid-boat handles on the Revo might prevent me from getting it into place without a lot of swearing and bouncing the hull off things. I've been saving up for a shed just for my kayaks, but my house and truck get jealous any time I'm not spending money on them.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I have never fished out of an outback but when looking at Hobies, my decsion to purchase Revo was less weight, less width and quicker then Outback. As for the weight and width I was concerned about getting an additional kayak on roof rack. Outback is not only 5" wider but hull is taller, on it's side wouldn't fit in standard car roof rack I was looking at.

Comment

I also went with the Revo due to its lighter weight, more narrow width, longer length and the resulting "better" speed. It's not a lot of difference but I wanted to be able to toss it up on top of the car or CR-V more easily. I started with an OK Drifter and the width is 32. Plenty stable but I felt it was too wide. The Outback is 33" wide.

If you like the Outback and need to keep new costs down stick with it. Hobie stands behind their warranty. And yes, it's 2 years. Like you say, with a Revo you'll have some new rigging (and spending) to do.

Comment

Don't know much about the Hobie problem, but stability has always been large with me. No pun intended there of course. I like to be able to turn around to get things out of the back of the kayak. I also like to sit side saddle on the kayak while chumming or drift fishing. If it is only a small amount of speed vs greater stability, I generally side with stability. I think the impact may be different for a paddle boat, where there is greater time between strokes than with a peddle boat, which appears to be more consistent with the fins. Stability is one reason that I went with the OK Big Game, which is very stable at 34 inches wide. Stability is also one reason, in addition to layout, that I am considering a Pro-Angler. Weight is also a factor, but you load into a P/U, so loading the weight is not like loading onto roof top racks.

Good luck with that decision.

Comment

I've only been in a Revo, so have limited input. While doing research, others mentioned there is more Hull Slap with the Outback and we do see plenty of chop in the bay. The other thing is quickness vs. average speed. If I see birds and want to get there quick, I'm looking to get up to max speed quick and then for a short burst of speed. I'm not sure chasing birds is worth the effort. However, it did produce some fish for me this year.

Comment

Bill. if you can take one for a test drive, i like all the extras on the outback but with all the hull problems the revo might be the way to go. as for forward mounting rod holders ram makes a narrow area mount that i used to mount my holders and ff out of the way so i dont hit them with my paddle. the revo is a very stable and quick, but quick is only as good as the legs behind the peddles. my .02

Comment

Working...
                X