Travel Rod for snapper fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Rod for snapper fishing

Headed down to Gulf Shores, Alabama, to catch a mess of red snapper- I will be using my Lexa 300H and need a heavier duty rod than my Chark Bait Inshore casting travel rod....big red snapper can be a handful and fight like the daylights coming off the bottom around the wrecks- a 20 pounder fights like a fifty pound striper-after we limit out on snapper we will fish for big jacks around the oil rigs-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-02-2013, 10:48 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I'm from mobile, that are is very nice this time of year!

Comment

Yeah you're right! I have a friend who I work with who lives down there- he has a 23 foot Mako center console with twin 115 Yamaha outboards- His Dad and I worked together before he retired and now I work with the Son- Good fisherman, too- I looked at the Cabela's Salt Striker Travel Rods- they are on sale at $80.00 so I ordered me the Extra Heavy model- My buddy has plenty of boat rods for this, but you always want to prove your tackle is up to the task- I want to hook up a big tough fish on the Lexa 300 and see how it does-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You be sure to watch the weather down there Ron!
        SNAPPER FISH AND CHIPS = HAPPINESS
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

ronaltmtd, you can't go wrong with the Salt Stiker rods. I used them in Africa and they work great on large fish. Landed a 25+ pounf Snapper and Grouper with these rods with no problems. I did have a big Jack Crevel break one but that was more my fault then the rod giving out.

Comment

This might work for the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-NOMAD-Tr.../dp/B001V7ETW6

Comment

I just looked up your reel and that rod might be to heavy. What weights and depths are you going to be fishing. Will that reel handle 12+ oz sinkers. Its got a really high gear ratio and might not have enough torque to handle heavy sinkers and large fish?

I have not fished that area but i assuming they are fishing the oil rigs for the snappers. I only know east coast wreck fishing which involves 12+ ounces of lead and 80+ ft depths.

Comment

ronaltmtd, thanks for the info on the Cabelas Salt Striker. Just bought two of them. Great rods and perfect for traveling.

Comment

Working...
                X