Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Spinning Rod Recommendations

Hey All,

Looking for some recommendations for a medium - medium/heavy travel spinning rod. Have a few trips this year to Bahamas and Florida and want to take some gear to do some shore fishing. Looking at the St Croix Inshore Tidemaster series but they're kinda pricey and wanted to see if there is anything cheaper out there. But if not, are the St Croix worth it?
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Took an okuma nomad inshore travel spinning rod with me to the carribean last fall. The rod comes with one medium and one medium heavy tip section, so kinda like two rods in one and you have an extra tip if you happen to break something. The rod worked great on tarpon up to 40-50lbs and assorted other little snappers and stuff. Came with a decent soft case, I just carried it with me on the flight. Think I paid about $130 for it.

Comment

I got this one!. Hand's down, the Cabela's Fish Eagle II travel rods. They have several lengths and actions. I have two and they have served me well.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I've been very pleased with my bass pro extreme 6'6" mh spinning rod! Sensitive enough for jigging and with enough backbone to battle 30" bluefish and redfish. I haven't caught anything bigger than that on it yet, but plenty of stripers/white perch/specs/reds/smallmouth.... Great rod, especially when it is on sale, which it just so happens to be right now!
        Used to fish more.

Comment

Look at Cabellas or Bass Pro Shops travel series. I have used both in Africa and here in the States and they are GREAT!!! The go for about $100, break down in three pieces and Work! Can't say enough good things about them. Both places carry spinning and casting rods. I prefer the casting rods. I have pulled in fish in Africa that have broken the rods but these fish, which I knew where too big for these rods, were BIG. Can't go wrong with either of these rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            Great rod, especially when it is on sale, which it just so happens to be right now!
            Hmm...this reminds me of someone...if I could only remember.

Comment

No joke man, between this one and the knife one I am starting to sound like the shamwow guy! Seriously though, the bps extremes for $60 something are worth it!
              Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by muldoon View Post
                Took an okuma nomad inshore travel spinning rod with me to the carribean last fall. The rod comes with one medium and one medium heavy tip section, so kinda like two rods in one and you have an extra tip if you happen to break something. The rod worked great on tarpon up to 40-50lbs and assorted other little snappers and stuff. Came with a decent soft case, I just carried it with me on the flight. Think I paid about $130 for it.
                Good call on the Okuma. I think this is a winner. Essentially 2 rods for 1 and still cheaper than the St Croix. Reviews online seem pretty decent too.
                http://www.amazon.com/Okumas-Inshore.../dp/B0056VM5WO

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Now to find a reel to pair it with
                Dave
                2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

I ended up getting the Cabela's Salt Striker 7' MH for $70 which was hard to pass up (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ods/738953.uts) and paired it with an Okuma Trio 40S for $60. The specs on this real are crazy for its size and price.
                  Dave
                  2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Working...
                  X