Revo 13 and Trident 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revo 13 and Trident 13

Anyone have experience with the Revo 13 and Trident 13? I have an idea of how they perform, but would like actual experience. I'm looking to compare the Revo (as a paddling yak; with the well plug installed and without the drive) with the Trident in terms of stability, speed, ability to cut waves, etc)

(Thinking about selling my Trident and getting a Revo as my back-up/spare kayak)
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I have had both and I can tell you the trident paddles much better than the Revo. The Revo is great to peddle- it's fast, cuts through chop great, and is very stable, but for paddling it has a tendency to wind-cock and the flat bottom means it does not track well without the rudder down. With the rudder up, as Jeff (Riddler) on SOL best described, paddling it feels like you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I agree with this statement (and I have complained about it to my Hobie rep) because on what seems like every third or fourth paddle stroke my kayak will out of no where try to turn hard to the right. It sucks. The fix is to put the rudder down and leave it in the straight position and then paddle, much better.

I now have two Revo's which is better for us (my fiance and I) to use together so that we can both peddle, however, I do miss being able to stand and use the rod pod for beach launches or areas with structure. It was also nice for quick trips where I didn't mind dragging it down a bank or whatever. My $.02, the revo isn't that much faster than the outback so if you're looking for 2 hobies, I'd say getting an adventure or PA might make more sense than the Revo. Or, just hold tight with what you have and start using the trident for freshwater trips.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      I'm looking to compare the Revo (as a paddling yak; with the well plug installed and without the drive)
      Ahhhh... no. The Revo is a terrible paddling kayak. Can't help with a comparison to a Trident but I have paddled my Revo as a safety test. Not good. Does not track well at all. You must use the rudder. When you need to steer you have to stop paddling and, as Michael mentioned, hard turn to the right. Way too much effort. If you have a long way to go may as well drop anchor...!

Comment

I had to paddle the Revo at the bay bridge 2 years ago. I left the seat and mirage drive at home. It sucked but doable.

Comment

Thanks for feedback, guys.

I was thinking if I was going to have a spare yak, may as well have another Hobie - a Revo. That way I can have a back-up drive and a paddling or pedaling yak for freshwater or whatever. Looks like the Revo is not stellar in the paddling department and should mainly be used for pedaling. I guess I need to try a Revo on the water first.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

You're welcome to take mine out whenever.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I had to paddle my revolution from the main span under the bb a couple months ago to spsp and it wasn't THAT bad. I was expecting worse, so maybe thats why i was surprised. Like redfish said, I did have to have the rudder down. I can't compare it to any other yak in those circumstances, since my only other paddle experience is a SIT on a nice day.

Moc was a beast last weekend though paddling his revo in some wind!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X