Suggested fishing waters northeast MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested fishing waters northeast MD

Hello all. As some of you may know I just got my outback and fished out of it for the first time a couple weeks ago at the Susky flats. Since then I've been busy with work but thinking about where I will launch from next. As with any fisherman I am willing to travel to fish but I am looking for some recommendations on good kayak launch spots closer to me for times when I cant drive multiple hours one way. I am not new to fishing necessarily, just new to kayak fishing, and a lot of spots I fish I am unsure about launching a kayak from. Also I should preface by saying I am not looking to spot burn, just general bodies of water and kayak launch points in them.

For example does anyone fish the Delaware river/bay? I have been warned about how choppy it can get and there is a lot of commercial traffic in the river especially. There are also a lot of large stripers there which boaters frequently target. The striper in my avatar I caught from shore on the Delaware river.
    In terms of the Chesapeake...Obviously the flats are closest to me but in between the flats and the bay bridge where else on the Chesapeake do kayakers launch? Mostly in the rivers which feed into the bay? I just read the report on snakeheads in Mattawoman and I am interested in checking that out but that for example is 2.5 hours away. Anyone know of any snakehead waters closer this direction? I guess someone will ask which species im looking to target before giving a recommendation... Basically im open to catching most species but not really a pond fishing person and I have a strong preference for fish that I can eat.

Thanks in advance for any response.
    2014 Hobie Outback

Check w Doc Irv he fishes the NE river all the time

Comment

the NorthEast, Sassafrass, Elk Rivers all hold really good Largemouth

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have phrased my title fishing nearby northeast part of MD not the town of northeast. Im familiar with elk and susquehanna but mainly looking for more options like harford co. , Baltimore co. Etc and if anyone has any experience on the delaware side always open to that.
        2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I've been using google earth to check out my nearest options...anyone here have experience with the Bush or Gunpowder rivers? Imagine suggested Sassafras I will have to check that out as well. Any suggested launch points?
          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
            I've been using google earth to check out my nearest options...anyone here have experience with the Bush or Gunpowder rivers? Imagine suggested Sassafras I will have to check that out as well. Any suggested launch points?
            Gunpowder you can launch from Mariner park in Joppatown by the trainbridge. Free to enter and launch.
            Dave
            2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

There are a bunch of launch points for the Bush River, a few right off of RT 40, (look for pull offs near bridges) and some boat ramps around Otter Point.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Dont forget about lake Conowingo, there is a launch off Mt. Zoar RD into Conowingo Creek in Cecil Co. and the Broad Creek Landing in Harford county.
                Yellow WS Ride 135
                Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by MOHAWK135 View Post
                  Dont forget about lake Conowingo, there is a launch off Mt. Zoar RD into Conowingo Creek in Cecil Co. and the Broad Creek Landing in Harford county.

Interesting. When you say lake Conowingo are you referring to the area above the dam? Ive fished the dam area from shore plenty of times most recently during the shad run...its been hit or miss for me depending on water flow from the dam.Ive wondered about taking a mirage drive into there when its sometimes very shallow. Ive never fished before the dam on the deep looking side due to not knowing where to access. Have you fished here personally? What kind of fish are you targeting there?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will definitely add these other nearby rivers to my itinerary. Does anyone know if snakeheads are as plentiful up here as they are in other parts of MD? I see the warning signs at most waterways but not sure how many there really are. I would like like to target one to add to my list and wasn't sure if I had to take the trip to Mattawoman or somewhere like that.
                  2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I have fished Broad creek and conowingo creek for LMB with success. Both launches are free. Going to attempt to figure out the flathead bite up there this year.
                    Yellow WS Ride 135
                    Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by MOHAWK135 View Post
                      I have fished Broad creek and conowingo creek for LMB with success. Both launches are free. Going to attempt to figure out the flathead bite up there this year.
                      Well that should definitely be doable. Everytime I go there I see people with mountains of flatheads near the dam. I haven't gone after them myself but ive caught channel cats galore there.
                      2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will definitely add these other nearby rivers to my itinerary. Does anyone know if snakeheads are as plentiful up here as they are in other parts of MD? I see the warning signs at most waterways but not sure how many there really are. I would like like to target one to add to my list and wasn't sure if I had to take the trip to Mattawoman or somewhere like that.
                        The snakeheads havn't made it up this far yet in any real numbers. I've only ever heard of one being caught on the north east river which was reported to the DNR (I saw it in the angler log on their website).

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

As far as the Sassafras River, There is a public ramp at the bottom of the road in front of the Granary Restaurant. Just be aware it gets quite busy since it is free. Good fishing along the river and it's a good stretch of speed limited water. There is a public launch off of 213 on the Bohemia river as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X