Best fish finder for kayaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fish finder for kayaks?

Was looking to install a decent, under $200, fishing finder in my kayak. Found this one at basspro shop fr $140. http://m.basspro.com/Lowrance-Mark5x...10215765/48135. Any good? I reall want it to install inside the kayak and not outside. Black and white is fine but i want something easy to figure out. Thanks !

I'd opt for the Mark 4 http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-reg-...1090805011714/ $200 with $30 rebate for a combo unit
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

What's the difference and can it be mounted inside the kayak ?

Comment

The mark 4 is smaller and has GPS. I have the elite 4 which is color. See http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...voyage-Cuda-14

You can see where the transducer is in stalled inside the hull. If you want more photos just let me know.

Comment

Trying to see how you mounted it? Glue or screws ?

Comment

I took a piece of high density foam or a large pool noodle and cut it to about 1/2- 3/4 inch thick. Place the transducer on top and traced around it with a fine tip marker. Then cut inside the marker line. I adhered the foam to the inside of the hull ensuring the shape is in the proper configuration so when the transducer is placed inside it is facing the right way. Make sure you prep the hull area by lightly sanding with fine or wet sandpaper then wiping with reg alcohol. Now you can adhere the foam with marine goop or like. Afterwards I fill the inside opening of the foam with about ½ inch of marine goop. I then gently place the transducer on top and slowly rock it into place pushing it downward until it hits the hull. You can use duct tape (you can see the duct tape residue on top of transducer in picture) or like to keep the transducer in place for 24hrs for the goop to set up. I did this in my Pro Angler in 2009 and it was still there and working when I sold it last month.

If you want to talk more about this PM me with your phone number and I will call you.

Harry
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd second the Mark 4 or another unit with GPS. I had mine out for the first time last week and was impressed. I think the GPS is going to be as much of a fishing tool as the depth finder. You can load coordinates of anything interesting, from a chart, plug them in and paddle to them. The ability to get right to drops, edges, structure and bars accurately is going to be used as much or more then just reading the bottom.

BTW I went with the wet mount that can be seen at http://kayakfishinghole.com/communit...ead.php?t=1156
              Worked well in my case. I did take a lot of time forming the PVC as accurately to the hull as I could and plenty of Goop. If you do get the Lowrance the transducer needs 4" PVC instead ad of the 3" shown.
              Last edited by DonV; 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                I'd second the Mark 4 or another unit with GPS. I had mine out for the first time last week and was impressed. I think the GPS is going to be as much of a fishing tool as the depth finder. You can load coordinates of anything interesting, from a chart, plug them in and paddle to them. The ability to get right to drops, edges, structure and bars accurately is going to be used as much or more then just reading the bottom.

BTW I went with the wet mount that can be seen at http://kayakfishinghole.com/communit...ead.php?t=1156
                Worked well in my case. I did take a lot of time forming the PVC as accurately to the hull as I could and plenty of Goop. If you do get the Lowrance the transducer needs 4" PVC instead ad of the 3" shown.
                Couldn't agree more, I find myself looking at my routes and the speed more than the sonar lol. $200 you can't go wrong and the $30 mail in rebate sweetens the deal.

I had the Mark4 then had an issue with the screen. Ended up sending it to Lowrance for warranty repair and was expecting it to take weeks for a replacement so I ordered a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI. Ended up getting my Mark4 back in about a week lol
                Dave
                2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Be careful of the Marine Goop install... A lot of people report as hard as they try they still get air bubbles (as proved when they peel it up and find the bubbles) and they documented very careful install procedures. I'm sure it can be done without but it's hit and miss as reported by many posts.
                  I used the plumbers putty that a lot of people are using (Home Depot variety is waterproof; Lowes is water based and does not do well with the water that always creeps in our boats). I initially mourned mine too far forward and I was getting noise from the water under the hull (air bubbles, etc...) when I was moving or the waves were a little choppy. I was able to take out the putty roll it back up an move the transducer farther back and now have incredible results.
                  So in retrospect I like the putty install... It's not "permanent" lime Marine Goop and it NLT costs less than $3 for a brick of it that will do 2 or 3 transducers.

Comment

I did my previous install with marine goop and the new one the same way with no problems on either install.
                    I think some people put the goop in wrong. You have to push the tube opening to the hull and slowly squeeze the goop as you gently raise the tube being sure the flow is in the other goop and not on top. If you don't you can get air in the goop before you even install the transducer.

Comment

+1 for the Goop install. I did it slowly and applied in 3 stages letting it dry completely before applying another layer.
                      Dave
                      2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

I used duct seal instead of goop with an Elite 4 and it works also. I like that its easier to work with and its not permanent and easy to remove and redo if there is a problem. I lay about 1/4' flat on the bottom of the yak flat surface. Enough surface area to cover the transducer, place the transducer in the middle of it and wrap it up in the duct seal.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

I have the mark 4 combo as well and love it. Mounted the transducer to the keel. Having the true water temp has saved many trips where a 3 -5 degree change in water temp made all the difference.
                          Last edited by MOHAWK135; 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM.
                          Yellow WS Ride 135
                          Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

I have an elite 4, and never knew how helpful the DSI/GPS combo units were until this past tuesday. I was paddling and saw a really clear image of an oyster bed, I marked it with the GPS, anchored and immediately started catching fish. And even though the current changed and I went from one side of the bed to the other, I was able to see on my GPS where i marked and kept fishing that same spot.

Comment

I mounted transducers on two previous kayaks using Goop. I had excellent sonar readings with both. But when I went to remove the transducer before selling one of the boats, it was difficult to remove the adhesive from the hull and from the transducer itself. When I mounted a transducer on my current Manta Ray, I used duct putty. It works equally as well on sonar readings (including one day last Dec when I could follow a 1-oz jighead moving up and down as I jigged the line). I plan to stick with duct putty for any future transducer installs because of the ease of positioning things and removing them later if necessary.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X