Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipes

Ok... so I should preface this post that I have looked, perhaps not sufficiently enough, for recipes on this forum and was unable to find any. I will also admit to my love of cooking. Through both hunting and fishing, I am able to access food that you are not able to get at most grocery stores (quality and type of food). I love to cook it, try new things and wow the family & friends when I can.

Is there a sticky that anyone has for recipes? I have no idea how to cook croaker, perch, etc. I have some amazing books that I was able to pick up in my trips to New Zealand (their fisheries there are simply unparalleled) and I will happily share what I can as appropriate.

So post away chefs! Would love to hear from all of you. The more specific the better... if you dont have it written down. Write it down the next time so you can convert your "add a little" to an actual measurement (yes my mother is still the king of "Add a little". I ask "how much is a little?" Her response "You know, just a little not too much".... to which I respond "ohhh, of course!")

Looking forward to hearing from the cooking masters of this group!!
    New to kayak fishing
    Wilderness Ride 115

A sticky does not exist, but that's a great idea. I posted a few pics of some rockfish dishes and ended up PMing the recipe to some members when I should have just added it to the thread. I could definitely contribute to the idea. Before I became an electrician, I had a culinary degree and ran a kitchen for years.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

In my travels on the forums I see recipes come up in different threads. When I can, I will just re-post them in here with the proper creds. If anyone wants me to pull down one of these, please dont hesitate to ask.

Courtesy of camelbird

-------

My (handle:camelbird) recipe:
      Tempura dipped and panko crusted 1" fish cubes (cod or snakehead) salt/pepper , fried in your choice of oil till cooked and golden brown

Prep:
      Shredded cabbage, diced cherry tomatoes, chopped cilantro, sliced avacado, fresh squeezed lime juice

Sauce:
      Combine in blender till smooth - 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, sour cream, little bit of mayo, cilantro and lime juice

Heat tortillas in pan before serving... tortilla, golden crispy fish, shredded cabbage, avacado, tomatoes, cilantro, lime and top with sauce

And one last thing.... a cold cervesa with lime

Enjoy

--------------------------------
      New to kayak fishing
      Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

We should definitely have a sticky thread for this. So many fish, we can't just fried them all!!!

Comment

This will work great with rockfish, flounder, and snakehead

2 8oz filets of firm white fish
          3 vine ripened tomatos
          4 cloves of minced garlic
          2 whole lemons
          1 cup white wine (cooking wine is fine)
          1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
          2 tbsp butter/margarine
          1/2# of 21/25 count raw shrimp

1. You have to make tomato concasse. Very easy, remove the stem core of the three tomatoes and on the bottom of each tomato score a small "x" just piercing the skin. Drop the tomatoes in a small pot of boiling water for 15 seconds and quickly remove. Place the tomatoes over cold running water and at the "X" start peeling the skin, it will come off very easy. Next slice each tomato in half just like the equator and scoop out the seeds with your finger over running water. Then just medium dice the tomatoes and set aside.

2. Get a large saute pan with hot oil, season the fish with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Brown the fish on both sides and remove the fish from the pan and set aside.

3. Next in the same hot pan...add the garlic, oregano, and shrimp in the hot pan and saute until the garlic slightly browns, quickly pour the white wine in the pan to deglaze and scrape anything sticking to the bottom, then add butter

4. Next squeeze in the juice of both lemons. Just cut the lemons in half and juice them with a fork...I usually do this over a fine strainer to keep the seeds out of the pan. Add the tomato concasse and bring to a boil.

5. Add the fish and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Gently keep spooning the sauce mixture over the fish instead of stirring the whole entire mixture. This will keep the fish from breaking apart. The flour from the fish and the reduction of the liquid should lightly thicken the sauce.

6. Remove from heat, plate and ENJOY!!

I like to add mushrooms to the dish the same time I add the tomato concasse, but my wife hates mushrooms. If you have an adventurous palate, I also add miniature capers to the dish. Feel free to share with anyone you like
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

ohhh.... boy... now you got me goin'

I can spend hours concocting dishes... I worked in many restaurants in my younger days...
            So do we get royalties if you make this into a famous cook book ???

I can't cook ribs for dirt... don't know what I screw up... but I bat about .10 for ribs..

But seafood... chicken... sauces... it's .98 batting average.

I always like simple... but dabble in fancy too.

Get one of those folding grates... looks like two square chicken wire grids attached with a handle.
            Depending on whole or filet but basically the same... whole score the skin then olive oil, salt pepper, spice your fish...also the inside stuff some herbs.

I grow tons of sage, basil, and dill... cheap cilantro also works... Off season I'll get cheap at a mega-Korean market up the street. You'll cook-broke if you get your herbs at the big name grocery stores.

Anyway... simple.... line one side of the grate with the herbs... put the fish down.. put a layer of herbs on the top...

Put on the grill low heat... toss some wood chips on the grill for extra smoke...

Basically you are smoking the fish in herbs.. I do this a ton of times with cod when it's cheap at the store..
            Freeze it... then have it for breakfast with eggs... it's the only thing better than Scrapple.

You can use vidalia onions in place of the expensive herbs... I've used orange slices... too !
            You can do both vidalia and orange slices to line the cooking grid. Don't forget the acids in the
            fruits will pre cook the fish.

Right now.. at this very moment, I have some Sockeye waiting for me to munch !

Unfortunately my current fishing adventures have only been enough for appetizers and the cat.

R.

Comment

This works very well with Mahi Mahi and Rockfish. The combination of this is very New Zealand. Having spent quite a bit of time over there, this recipe brings back all the wonderful food I ate while there.

Grilled Fish with Grilled Zucchini, Beets and Black Olive Vinaigrette.

Prepare the Beets
              Ingredients:
              3 beets
              1/3 cup of sugar
              1/3 cup of malt vinegar

Remove the greens from the beets. In a saucepad, place the beets, sugar and vinegar. Cover with cold water and place on high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer and cook until tender through (about 1 hour)

Once cooked, run under cold water for a minute or so. The skin should come off nicely. Refrig until required.

Make the vinaigrette
              Ingredients
              2 tblspns balsamic vinegar
              2 tblspns finely diced shallots
              1 ½ tblspns sugar
              Between ½ cup and ¾ cup olive oil
              ½ cup of pitted black olives cut into slivers and/or diced
              ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
              Freshly ground pepper

In a medium bowl, place the vinegar, shallots and sugar. Whisk together, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until incorporated. Fold in the black olives and mint, and season with a good couple of grinds of black pepper. Refrig until needed.

Grilled Zucchini
              Ingredients:
              6 small to medium zucchinis
              Olive oil for grilling
              Salt and pepper to taste

Heat up your grill. Slice the zuchs on an angle into rounds about 1 cm thick. Lightly coat with the olive oil. Salt and pepper. Cook on a hot grill for a couple of minutes on each side until golden and slightly charred. Remove and bring to room temperature.

To Serve
              I take about 1 ½ pounds of mahi mahi. I season with sea salt and pepper after coating with olive oil. Grill until golden on each side and just cooked through.

While the fish is cooking, slice the beets into aobut 1 cm thick. Place on the platter if serving family style (this is the best presentation btw). If individual slice thinner and place 4-5 rounds on each plate (about ½ cm then.

Carefully place the grilled zucchini in a large bowl. Take about ½ of the vinaigrette and drizzle over the top. Toss this around so they are good and coated. Place the zuchs on tops of the beets. The place your fish on top. Drizzle the remaining viniagreet from the bowl you tossed the zuchs and the rest in the bowl over the top.

Serve. This one is money. People will think you are a wizard… but then it does take some prep. I must source this recipe since I love this book. Its expensive, but if you love to cook and eat seafood…. Order it online. Al Brown’s Go Fish.

photo.jpg
              New to kayak fishing
              Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

I just got a really nice smoker for Fathers Day. I love smoke fish
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
                  I love smoke fish
                  Grow sage... it grows like a banshee once it gets going... I've had the same two plants in pots
                  for three, almost 4 years.

Keep cutting it back... let it dry out and toss on the fire with the chips for smoke.

R.

Comment

One of my popular blog recipes...for the next time you go crabbing

http://flyfisheat.tumblr.com/post/44...-shrimp-po-man

And blackened sea bass, which can be made with plenty of other fish...

http://flyfisheat.tumblr.com/post/47...s-gets-blacker
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I'm trying the blackened sea bass tonight, thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      One of my popular blog recipes...for the next time you go crabbing

http://flyfisheat.tumblr.com/post/44...-shrimp-po-man

And blackened sea bass, which can be made with plenty of other fish...

http://flyfisheat.tumblr.com/post/47...s-gets-blacker

Comment

Working...
                      X