Smallies and the Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallies and the Rain

Just posted this on another local fishing forum, but I am hoping to get some other opinions here.

With all of our rain and with more forecast for the next 3 days, I am wondering about how the fish relate. Assuming the river levels are safe to fish, do you think that the catch rate for smallies on either the Potomac or the Shenandoah is impacted by the clarity of the water? I've heard that it's easier to catch fish when the water is muddy, and I've also heard the opposite. Also do you guys think that the fish are more affected by the muddy water or by the higher water levels?
    Bruce

Fishing in muddy water

Do you eat on cloudy, foggy, raining, snowy, windy days? Of course. So do fish. When water levels rise, the fish seek out the sides of banks and lurk behind rocks that block the rushing water. These areas also harbor water that is less muddy, so they can see better. However, so do smaller fish and this is where they eat. If you can get on the water, the fish are still there. Once you learn to find them, you will catch fish. In muddy water use rattle traps as this will draw the fish to your lure.

Comment

As of 6-6-13, I could see down 4'-5' on the Potomac at Chain Bridge and the flow was quite fishable. The vast majority of the Potomac watershed was pretty much unaffected by TS Andrea, especially the upper 2/3 of the watershed. So I'm guessing the Potomac maybe got a little dirty but looks like the flow went up only a foot or so... no big deal. Check out the USGS flow graphs for yourself.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/current?type=flow
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        As of 6-6-13, I could see down 4'-5' on the Potomac at Chain Bridge and the flow was quite fishable. The vast majority of the Potomac watershed was pretty much unaffected by TS Andrea, especially the upper 2/3 of the watershed. So I'm guessing the Potomac maybe got a little dirty but looks like the flow went up only a foot or so... no big deal. Check out the USGS flow graphs for yourself.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/current?type=flow
        HJS,
        My question was more of a general one regarding how the catch rate varies based upon water clarity...now whether the river is currently stained. What's your opinion?
        Bruce

Comment

That early part of the river rise can make for some great smallmouth fishing. It kicks starts the ecosystem, bugs get washed into the water, aquatic bugs get dislodged, etc. so the little fish see this as a feeding opportunity. The big predators see the baitfish out feeding and they target them.

As the water continues to rise and the current strengthens the big predators do pull into current breaks so they do not have to work so hard to maintain position.

I generally have better luck with the larger smallmouth on the rise with the water a little off color. The fish are in predictable locations and I suspect the bass are not able to carefully scrutinize an offering (it is either "take it now" or the current will move the lure away from them).
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
          X