Shenandoah under Rte. 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenandoah under Rte. 7

I know that there is a nice launch ramp onto the Shenandoah which is just under the Rte. 7 bridge in VA. What I'm curious about is how deep the water is if you launch there and go downstream toward Harper's Ferry. I have a Hobie Revo 13 and I'd like to use it there if the water is deep enough to avoid damage to the Mirage drive. I know I can't go upstream from there because of the shallow shelf and light rapids just above the bridge, but does anyone have an answer about going downriver from the launch ramp?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I have been on the Shenandoah with my hobie, but not that particular stretch. You can make the call on the water. If you see water that you feel might be a risk to your mirage drive, just pull the mirage drive, insert the block that came with your hobie into the hole (or leave it open), unlock your rudder (you don't need to raise it out of the water) and go for it. You'll just be a paddle kayak at his point. When you make it through, put everything back. I have done this numerout times on Shenandoah, Rappahanhock, James and Potomac.

Comment

I think you would be fine there with normal flow conditions. I launched there once and I think I remember it being a pretty uniform 3ft. I went upstream. Below the bridge looks to be about the same as right around the bridge. There wasn't much in the way of large rocks/structure in the area and a I didn't catch anything.

Comment

Working...
      X