This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skate Whistles.......

Well I am pleased to report the installation of my skate whistles has been a success.

So far I've seen no skates... driving around or in my backyard.

A close cousin to the famous "deer whistles" the Skate Whistles are the latest in kayaking technologies.

skatewhistles.jpg

Hopefully they work better than the deer whistles

Comment

Just when you think you've seen it all. Nice install but I think they should be on the bottom.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

go to St Jeromes, they should attract more skates than you can handle.

Comment

I fished this morning with gkreps (Greg) in Ocean City near the Rt 50 bridge. We were targeting flounder, but the flounder were not biting. My only pullage for the day was catching two powerful rays (presumably cow nosed rays). At one point, I looked 1/4 mile away and saw loads of short black objects sticking up that looked like dorsal fins.

004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg

I quickly paddled over and found hundreds of rays feeding in 2 ft of water. The black "fins" were the tips of their wings sticking out of the water. I cast out with a jighead and plastic minnow and quickly had a strong pull on the line. I fought that ray for a minute then it broke free. About the same time, I had two other rods in rod holders with bottom rigs dangling at the surface. Another strong brute hooked itself on a wing tip and gave me quite a fight. It pulled the kayak around and put a serious bend in the rod. Five minutes later, I got the ray to boat side and recovered my rig.

I made sure the other rods were no longer dangling in the water as I paddled back over to meet Greg and resume flounder fishing. The rays were so thick that as I paddled along, I periodically bumped into a solid object (a ray) with my paddle. I have never seen so many rays before -- I really enjoyed the spectacle.

Greg and I finished early due to threatening weather and a few lightning bolts.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I hope those damn things stay in OC.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I am not sure why rays have such a bad reputation among fishermen. The fish I hooked today gave me the best pullage I have had this year (with the possible exception of a 30" carp on the flats). I rarely take fish home to eat anyway, so whether it is a tasty fish or not has little bearing.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Skate whistles , come on is this some type of joke?

Comment

To late I've bin out 4 times in the Patapsco last two weeks Ft Armistead at least a dozen sighting. I had one hookup on a gulp grub light tackle no chance but it was a fun fight.
                  Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                  Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    Skate whistles , come on is this some type of joke?
                    REALLY !!!!!!!!!! of course it's a joke.....

I am a transplant... well expatriate, and then again transplant to west side of the Bay Bridge...

Last Spring... North Ocean City, I caught 25 skates... nothing else.. and my 'brothers' had no such
                    bettah' luck... off the surf...

Oh yeah... they got's some good pull.... that is if you likes pullin' a waterlogged phone book or the same...

And thusly.... since I have transplanted to the west side of the Bay Bridge... I certainly didn't wan't a repeat of last
                    Spring in OC.....

A week ago... I made the trip to Jonas Green for the first time... as of the many first "times" on this side of the "bridge".
                    Really cool place....

BUT guess what I caught... oh hello... Mr. Skate.... well and a couple of perch...
                    Darn skate attacked my weak fish jig with a trailer shad rubber thingy.....
                    I thought I had a snag as I was passing close to the corner outside of the Navy Shipping Yard (before Carr's Creek Road)...
                    So I came around and my rig released... "Cool.. I say."

And then I the pass over on my "FishBites" bloodworm rig I was trolling on the other side....
                    Whamm'O..... my fav' not ol' friend skate or whatever he was.... picked that up...
                    About 15 minutes later I get it to the boat.... as far as getting a wet phone book to your boat is exciting..
                    A thorough drenching by the beast trying to avoid my help from her release.... the leader failed the knot.
                    Probably 3 foot across....

Well so far so good.... no skates.... since the adjustment to the yak...
                    R.

Comment

Has anyone ever tried eating skate or CNR?
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Years ago on a vacation in Paris, I had a skate wing in a fancy French restaurant. It was not horrible but was no great delicacy either. I am not rushing to try it again.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Here is what I have been taught about rays and skates.

What we have in the bay are cow nose rays. If you fish the ocean and the back bays of OC, Indian River etc, you can catch skates and rays. Without going into the science of ichthyology, there are some easy ways to tell skates from Rays.

Rays are larger than skates.
                          Skates have shorter thicker tails than rays.
                          Skates will never hurt you. Many rays can kill you.
                          Skates have the same skin as a shark, rays skin is smooth
                          Skate meat is light, Ray meat is dark

As far as eating goes, Skate wings taste similar to the white flank meat of sharks. Ray's kind of reminds me of Squirrel which, in my opinion, is much better in stew than served by itself.

Rays in the bay are a pain in the !#* to me when I am trying to catch perch for dinner.

Just my .02

John
                          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                            Has anyone ever tried eating skate or CNR?
                            skate is delicious and a delicacy in some asian and european food. You only eat the wings though, just cut through the cartilage. I usually eat it steamed, the skin peals off after its' cooked, then add some seasoning.

rays don't taste good.

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                              Here is what I have been taught about rays and skates.
                              What we have in the bay are cow nose rays. If you fish the ocean and the back bays of OC, Indian River etc, you can catch skates and rays. Without going into the science of ichthyology, there are some easy ways to tell skates from Rays.
                              Yes.. I understand... I am just more familiar with skates surf fishing for most of my life... so I call everything with wings in the water "skates." I'll clarify more correctly in the future... it's all good John, thanks.
                              Either way they suck...

With that said... last year I was catching so many, and I knew people did eat them.. found a bunch of vids on
                              YouTube about cleaning and cooking them... still didn't try the task with skinning them and or soaking them in buttermilk for a couple of days etc etc etc...

There is a restaurant just south of the Indian River Inlet called Matt's Fish Camp that boasts "Chincoteague Skate" on their menu. Personally... I don't think the name "Chincoteague" to skates, quiet lends it's name the same way it does to oysters. But Matt's Fish Camp is part of the group of SoDel Concepts that has emerged in the last 10 years and pretty much everything they represent has been top notch.

Yummmmmie.... SKATE... it's just not for dinner... it's for.... well, at least not yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X