10' range pick and and go kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10' range pick and and go kayak

I'm strongly considering a pick up and go kayak in the 10' range and max 50# weight for the local rivers in my area. I took my hobie to Pohick the other day at low tide and had to paddle a good bit before I could use my mirage drive. So I started thinking about getting a cheap kayak where all I need is a seat and paddle for short trips after work.

The two that caught my interest are the mini-X (need to talk to you John V. about it more) and the Ascend D10T (sit on top). The Ascend is cheaper at $400 and comes with a seat (although cheap it seems). While the mini-x is at $500 (not on sale) and doesn't come with a seat (as far as I can tell). Both have pros and cons, for example, the mini-x has rod holders etc., while the Ascend D10T has nothing. I do like the open bow that the Ascend offers and I can make up for the lack of rod holders with my crate (which has them).

Bottom line, I want to keep my cost around $400, length around 10', max weight at 50#, max weight capacity 300# or over (I'm about 200#), and wider than 30" would be nicer. I'd like to get thoughts and suggestions from those who have more experience (LOL I only have 7 months worth of kayak fishing). Anyone try or have the Ascend D10T? Anyone suggest other kayaks? Anyone have more thoughts about the mini-X?

Thanks for the help guys!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I love my Tarpon100, but it may be a little above your price range. The best part about it is the built in rails which allow customization w/out drilling holes and the seat that comes with it is pretty comfortable for a factory seat. Keep an eye on craigslist and you might find a good deal on a used one.
    Last edited by Shady; 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I second craigslist. I'm not in the market for another yak, but I still look everyday. There's some good deals out there if you're patient.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I have a Cobra Explorer (11' & 40lbs) that I use at Pohick and upper Potomac spots like Riverbend. It's a base model with no hatches. My seat has 2 built in rod holders so I've not rigged it much at all. I added handles and a forward rod holder. That's it. I don't bother with a FF either. Easy to handle, easy to toss up on the roof. Link:

http://www.cobrakayaks.com/explorer.html

+1 on going with a used one. I got the Cobra in 2004 from what was Ski Chalet in Falls Church during one of their summer flea markets.

Comment

I saw this the other day on CL. Check it out! Good Luck!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...818663673.html
          2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dicks has some nice kayaks around that price. The perception which is owned by wilderness systems. Or old owners or something. And the field n stream kayak has great reviews for on sale at 449 at times
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Mustafa -

I like the Mini-X for its simplicity, weight (39 lbs) and length (9'3"). There is one spot I go several times a year where I need to lift the kayak over a guard rail and slide it down a bank. That was a much bigger chore with my previous back up boat an OK Drifter. With the Mini-X, it is easy. There are other days when I have only a small window of time and I don't want to bother with a fishfinder and other excess gear. I can drop the Mini-X in the water and be underway in a minute or two.

The one I bought from Chimo last year has 4 flush mount rod holders, although the front ones are set at an angle such that my reels are likely to drag in the water. As a result, I don't use them.

The Mini-X is very maneuverable -- it pivots in its own length. But that means it does not track very straight if there is much wind. Every boat is a compromise.

If you want to meet me in Annapolis and give it a test ride, we can do that.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

ive been wanting a smaller kayak for the same reasons you have stated for a while now. on sale, (even though longer) the pompano 120 that dog fish said is on sale at west marine has tempted me many times. the field and stream yak from dicks has as well when on sale. ultimately, i would love the hobie quest 11, pretty much bc i absolutely love the front hatch style. if i could only find one for less than 600, i'd be all over it
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help!

Both the Tarpon 100 and Cobra explorer kayak are nice kayaks. Only thing is their price is a little higher than I'd like to spend on a spare. I may contact the guy on CL to see if he/she will go lower but I'd prefer the bow to be more useful (either a hatch or an open space like the Ascend D10T that really caught my eye). I agree CL with a little patience usually pays off!

John, I will definitely take you up on your offer to try out the mini-X. I'll be in touch to set up a date/time.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ascend D10T? Are they well built? How do they track?

Any other kayaks in this range that people have experience with?
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I think Shield still has his Ascend, but it is a 12 foot model. Maybe you can make him an offer. He has a bunch of kayaks now.....lol.

Comment

I have a Perception Pescadora 10foot... don't know exactly the weight but it's about 50lbs... I really like it..
                      but don't have any other experience with sit on tops. I got it from Sports Authority last year.

You could try it... except I'm not really planning any trips down your way.. mostly going out some where on the
                      Chesapeake area(s) lately...

As far as well built I thinks so... and the reviews by other people they were happy too. The thing that you would
                      get from personal testing is if it "plows" through the water as compared to other yaks.

I was coming back from fishing Wednesday and heard an advertisement for Annapolis Canoe and Kayak...
                      So if you are down that way it might give you a chance to explore some options.

I think your biggest problem is that right now.... everybody wants to be on the water... so getting a "deal" will be tougher.
                      Although Father's Day weekend is coming up and Dick's Sporting has some specials.

Good luck !

Comment

I have the Ascend FS12T. It's about 65lbs, not too much to bear. I would imagine the D10 would be easy to throw around for quick trips. I looked at that one before I got the 12 footer. The guys at BPS let me carry it around the back to see how heavy it is. Just ask, they may let you haul it around the warehouse to get a feel for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X