Hobie Revo 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Revo 13

I just test drove a Hobie Revo. 13 with turbo Mirage drive - "Wow". I think the fleet is going to grow. I get the logic - "Fishermen who use a kayak have a Hobie, Kayakers who fish . . . paddle. Should I consider the Outback, or is the Revo the way to go.

Terry
    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Hey Terry...when I decided to buy my hobie, I was set on the revo 13. I was reading so many reviews about the outback being a sluggish barge with an annoying hull slab. But after sitting in an outback, I realized its built for the fisherman in mind. It is an extremely wide platform and the most stable kayak I have fished on. It would keep up with the revo for a good half mile and that really doesn't matter when trolling. I don't notice any sluggish handling. Nothing against the revo, but I'm a fatty and the outback fits my needs.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have an Outback- almost went with a Revo- but like Jeremy I am a big guy- after sitting in both, the Outback fits me a lot better- and it isn't a sluggish barge- when we all head in together my Revo friends may be slightly ahead of me but not by much-

I have the turbo fins and the sailing rudder- these two options make a big difference in performance-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-16-2013, 08:13 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think if you fish big water, hobie win. If you fish shallow, paddle win. I've been considering a hobie as well. I think you should consider how to load/unload your kayak as well. Mustafa told me it is a lot easier for him to car top his Revo, than the Outback. I think you should test it out, demo, etc before choosing one. Do you really need the extra weight capacity the Outback offer?

Comment

I just rode the hobie revo 13 for the first time and it was perfect for me. I am kind of skinny and fast is what I am always looking for over stability. (I weigh around 150-160 lbs0

My friend was just able to test out both the revo 13 and outback and he had a hard time deciding on the two. Outback is also 6-7 lbs heavier but is more stable.
          Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Terry,

I am a new owner of a Hobie Revolution 13. I have taken it out 5 times and two of those times I was in high winds with white caps on the water. I am slightly over 200 pounds and I felt very stable in the boat. I was pleased at how well it glided through the choppy water.

What impresses the most is the ease with which it moves. I liken it to pedaling a bike on a flat surface – almost effortless. If I want to increase speed it responds quickly to faster pedaling and it is easy to hold a particular velocity with normal peddling once I get it up to my desired speed.

I have covered a lot of water each time I have taken the Revolution out. I have used the paddle only during the launch and during the landing.

Since I purchased the kayak primarily for fishing I considered the Outback. However, the extra weight of the Outback was my main deterrent. I bought a Yakima Showboat Roof Rack Roller to assist with loading the Revolution on my van. It has worked well and I’m sure I could have loaded the Outback with it. But at some point an extra 5 or 7 pounds starts to matter. The Revolution is at the upper limit of my comfort level for lifting.

There is less deck space for fishing essentials in the Revolution than in the Outback. I have overcome that so far with a milk crate behind the seat. Also, since I have been in heavy water I learned that watertight tackle boxes are nice to have. Plano makes some nice boxes for that purposes. Thus far I have changed lures infrequently during my outings. (The exception was the day I tangled with 4 rays at Downs Park.) So I suspect I will carry less tackle as time goes on meaning that the Revolution has ample storage for my needs.

Good luck in your decision,

Mark
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I currently fish a small LL Bean (Perception) sit in and was at ACK and BYB last week trying to decide on either a 12' Slayer or the 12' PA. The PA is really more small boat than it is kayak. It's also twice the price of the Slayer. I also looked at the Revo. As others have said, the PA (outback) is really designed to fish. Could you fish the Revo and be perfectly happy? Of course. Then again, you could easily drop several hundred bucks setting it up to fish. That said, is it worth the extra $700 or so to go with the PA? depends on you. Also, if I remember right, the Revo seat is not elevated which can lead to a wet butt. If that's an issue for you then it might be something to consider.

Sorry guys, looks like I was misinformed. I thought the full name for the PA was the "Outback PA". Please forgive the useless response.
              Last edited by dsiekman; 06-16-2013, 08:27 PM.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Hey Terry,

Mark put it perfectly. Both Revo13 and Outback are awesome! Either one you go with will make you happy. Full disclosure, I got my Revo at a really nice price, so I pretty much just went with it since it was available. Bottom line, you need to test both on the water and test how you plan on transporting it. Like Kahn said, I lifted the Outback and Revo above my head (since I car top mine) and felt that not only is the Revo lighter, but its balanced front to back. The outback I felt had a lot of extra weight in the back. But that will only matter depending on how you transport it. Toyomo (Muhammad) puts his in the bed of his truck, so the weight doesn't matter for him (he just rolls it up the the bed and pushes it in).

In regards to the storage/console space, I'll be honest, I love the Outback's extra compartment space on the sides! (maybe even secretly jealous of them, LOL!) To make up for it in my Revo, I went with ComeOnFish's (Joe) tofu buckets storage in the middle hatch (See Joe's awesome video about his kayak to see what I'm talking about). Joe actually gifted me his "improved" version of the cut tofu buckets, and man they are awesome. I have everything I need now within easy reach and the best part is, if I turtle (God forbid) I don't loose anything because it is all safely inside my hatch. The only thing I added to mine are two rod holders in the front for trolling and convenient rod holder when I unhook the fish. Outback already has flush rod holders, but I would have ended up getting the aftermarket holders in the front anyway because I like the angles I can put the rods in while trolling. But that's just me.

Bottom line is either one you choose you will love, just test "peddle" them and do a transportation setup test, and you'll know right away which one you like.

Good Luck!!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for all the information and key points to look at and take into consideration. I definitely MUST test drive the Outback too. Funny the guy at the dealer asked if I wanted to give the Outback a try, and I declined - bad decision. It sounds like I may have tough decision but no matter which way I end up going I won't lose.

Thanks Again,

Terry
                  Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

hobie Outback with Stand n fish

If you went this weekend, you may have dealt with my son down there as he works at the hobie dealer in Annapolis. We have 4 hobie outbacks and love them. I would definitely not consider them sluggish barges. Not sure how many miles my son, daughter, wife and I have put on those hobies, but is tons. We love them for the versatiliy they offer for cruising, fishing and having friends enjoy them as well. I've had them in the bay, ocean, intercoastal, rivers, lakes and ponds. Never had a bad outing or issue with them whether the water was shallow, grassy, or swift water. Good luck on your decision, but you will be happy no matter which one you get.

Comment

Flyguy,

Yup I do believe that I dealt with your son. He told me about you being a fly fisherman and loving to go out on the Hobie. He said you moved right along and had done some serious mileage while fishing. I know he said that he had an Outback but I'm not sure he mentioned what model you fished with. He definitely was into kayak fishing himself you could tell by his enthusiasm when he spoke about fishing. Anyway, a nice, polite, clean cut, young man who was a pleasure to deal with. We should go out fishing sometime, I assume you are in the greater Annapolis area. I'm in St. Margarets just east of Annapolis. For the next 3 weeks I'll be away . . . but after that. I'm going to AK for some Salmon and Halibut fishing hoping to get some serious pullage.

Terry
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

So does anyone have the Revo 11?

Eventually, I'm interested in getting a mirage drive Revo 11 for the W.S.S.C. reservoirs that are so close to my home.

I will be looking for something with a mirage drive, but that is as light as possible.

Comment

Chexone (Mike) has one and he loves his
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                            So does anyone have the Revo 11?

Eventually, I'm interested in getting a mirage drive Revo 11 for the W.S.S.C. reservoirs that are so close to my home.

I will be looking for something with a mirage drive, but that is as light as possible.

Dan,

I test drove the Revo 11 as well. My opinion . . . it was nice, fast, but a bit twitchy especially going into the wind. It required a significant amount of steering correction to keep going straight into the wind. It would do it but you had to stay on it, or you soon were off course. Perhaps, a contributing factor was my inexperience to things Mirage and Hobie. The 13 tracked much better about 1/2 the steering input I would say. If you are looking for a light quick pond boat it may be the ticket but in big water with weather the sports car like tracking would soon get old for me.

Terry
                            Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

I got the 11 with the upgraded rudder and turbos. No buyers remorse whatsoever.
                              Dave
                              2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Working...
                              X