Wye Island - NRMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye Island - NRMA

Has anyone ever tried to launch from Wye Island (mid-Bay eastern shore)? This is a 2,400 acres state owned and managed wildlife area (DNR). There are no public launch sites on the island, and the nearest public launch is too far away to paddle to it, at least from the maps that I've seen.

Wye Island has a long (300 year) history and is about a prime an area of eastern shore natural area as there is. I am not sure what the fishing is like, or if it's too shallow in there, etc. but it would be a nice place to hike, and/or kayak. I think there's talk of adding a canoe/kayak only launch, but the state has been dragging their feet for years on that proposal. It's obvious that the powers that be want to keep that area pristine and out of reach of the rest of us rabble for as long as they can. I can't blame them, but what good is it if no one can see or use it, even with a paddle?

Any thoughts or experience there? Here is the official site on it: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan.../wyeisland.asp

Several years ago, I launched my kayak at Wye Landing ramp (next to Schnaitman's boat rental). That gives immediate access to the Wye River, which surrounds Wye Island. The Wye River is a relatively deep river and has some good fishing in it. It is also known as the home of some very large blue crabs.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great John, thanks! I did check the nautical charts on the NOAA site, and I noticed the deep water channel (20 - 30 ft. deep) around most of the island. It looks like the deepest drop-offs, and submerged structure are off the point of Wye Island towards Crab Alley and Eastern Bay.

A brother of a friend goes small boat (not a kayak) fishing for black drum in that area, and catches and releases fifty pounders every year. He uses a whole soft crab or peeler on a larger hook near the bottom and keeps it on the hook with rubber bands. I am sure the large black drum are attracted to that area by the big jimmies in there.

A fifty pound black drum would give a helluva ride in a kayak. Not sure if that's doable...WHOAAAAAA NELLIEEEEEEEEEE!!!
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-16-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I grew up fishing this area. Still do fish it with my father quite a bit. Tough place to fish from a kayak (in the summer) for anything besides perch. In the late fall, trolling bucktails around the wooded shorelines near the landing and up to 2 miles fro it will pick you up a quick limit of 18-30 inch rock.

In the early summer, if you could get out to the mouth of the river there are plenty of rock and a few black drum. The largest I've picked up there was around 50-60 lbs. Caught on a half peeler.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
        X