Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod length and recommendations

Would appreciate your thoughts guys:

My go to rod this season for inshore has been a 7' 4" M, Fast action paired with a 2500 reel. I am looking to replace a 6'6" rod that I lost this weekend. What is everyone's thoughts on rod length fishing from a yak?

To add I feel that a well-made rod with awesome sensitivity and back bone is more important than a light reel. So here are a couple of questions I'm throwing out there. Although I own 1 (had 2). Are G Loomis rods really worth the money? I am looking to replace the Loomis ILX I lost with either a Loomis Green Water or Pro-Green. The other options are Shimano Teramar or St Croix Avid.

I am definitely picking up another Stradic to replace the one I lost. I guess my main question is rod length. Is 6'6" too short?
    Hobie Outback
    WS Tarpon
    IG: #liveyakfish

I don't like rods under 7'. For the kayak, because you can work the rod around the bow and stern of the kayak, should a fish go in that direction. In general, I use 7.5' and even one 8'. I like the longer rod to help keep some tension on the line, even when pumping the rod during the fight. With a shorter rod there is more likelihood of your letting slack in the line while reeling in a fish. With the longer rod it is easier to keep the slack out while keeping even pressure, with the longer rod sort of as a shock absorber. At least that is my opinion. Everyone has their own way to fish.

With that said, one of my favorite rods is a 5'4" Loomis rod, which I built years ago. With Loomis out of the blank business, for the rod builder, I have gone to StCroix. In hind sight, I am sorry I didn't make that move years ago. I am really taken with the SCIV and SCV blanks.

I have always liked those green rods by Loomis. They seem to have good power and balance. However, we sell the Shimano rods at the store, and they are really nice also, good power to weight balance. Sounds like you have narrowed it down to two very nice rod choices.

Comment

I have a trident 13 and I prefer at least a 7' spinning outfit to swing it around the front of the yak if I have to. I have a 7'6" St Croix M that, with braid, can cast a country mile.

Can't say too much on the loomis, but if I had a choice between an avid and a teremar I'd go with the avid - more sensitive in my opinion.

What are you using it for? Guessing light saltwater applications.. tossing gulps, jigs and maybe some bottom fishing? You thought about the st croix tidewater series?

Comment

Working...
      X