Maryland Tackle out of business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Tackle out of business

Many of our members have met or at least heard of Woody Tillery, the owner of Maryland Tackle. For years, Woody has been making outstanding lures that really catch fish. My favorites are his spinner baits tied with feathers rather than hair. This morning I used one of his 1/16-oz feather spinners to catch about 50 perch.

Woody wrote to the members of the Severn River Rod and Keg Club this afternoon advising us that he is closing his business due to health reasons. Several local tackle shops carry his lures, but it sounds like once they sell out, no new inventory will be available. I was prescient enough to buy up quite a few of his feather spinners in 1/16-oz and 1/8-oz size two winters ago. They will last me several seasons at least. If you want to try his products, you are advised to visit a local tackle shop soon and buy them before they are gone.

I know that some of our members make similar spinnerbaits for their own use and to give to friends. I have been the beneficiary of one generous member and have put his lures to good use many times. There will now be a vacant commercial niche out there for any one who can make a good small spinnerbait product. One inexpensive spinnerbait that I have used with good results is the Strike King Microking in 1/16-oz size. It is not nearly as pretty as Woody's lures, but it does catch fish. For some inexplicable reason, the Strike King Miniking in 1/8-oz size has not done as well for me.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Man, that's sad news.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

John,

Funny thing I just bought (yesterday) two Woody's spinners at Anglers, one white and one chartreuse. I was looking for some perch lures and remembered you had mentioned them in a previous thread about perchin' on the Severn. I think there was only one left now I'm sorry I didn't buy that one too. Oh well, some other lucky person will get it. I am anxious to get it wet - about 50 perch you say.

Terry
      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

I had a pmail from ArcheryRob asking me to post photos of the Maryland Tackle feather spinners. Here are three photos. The first shows the feather spinners in the 1/16-oz and 1/8-oz size. These are deadly on perch and small rockfish. I have also caught yellow perch, pickerel, catfish, croaker, and other species on these lures. I bought the larger orange one at a show last winter. Last Sat I caught some 15" rockfish on that lure.

001.jpg

The second photo shows the Strike King Microking spinnerbait. The one on the right is my personal favorite color pattern - sun perch.

002.jpg

The third photo shows two sizes of the homemade spinnerbaits that were given to me by MKF member Bignose. They are excellent fish catching lures too.

003.jpg

Recently someone on Tidalfish posted a link to these good looking spinners. http://www.yorkbaitcompany.com/Crapp...nnerbaits.html. I have never seen one in person or used one, but they look good.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Question...

I see some spinner baits that have a closed eye and others like the ones John posted that have an open eye. Without much experience, it seems to me that a closed eye would be better because the line (or whatever you use to attach the lure...swivel, clasp, etc) has less ability to slide around, say down the arm. Is there an advantage to an open eye over a closed eye?

Thanks!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

The open eye spinner baits (R Bend) are better for tying onto a mono/flouro leader. The closed eye design is formed by a loop and allows a normal clinch knot to slide and not snug up as well. You have to take an extra wrap around the loop or or your knot will pull lose. The open eye also transmits vibrations better.
            But it's real easy to buy a bunch of 1/8 oz. jig heads, and a package of clip on spinner blades.

I have tried to copy Woody's basic design, but I have never quite has the knack for matching the feathers as he did.
            The quality of his lures is exceptional.
            I started using synthetic fibers as a tailing material and they hold up better.
            I have never been able to match his quality, but I have no illusions about tying lures as a commercial venture.
            It's a whole different deal, and would no longer be done for fun.
            I crank out maybe 50-100 every year and give many of them away.
            $3.50 each, wow!

Comment

Anyone have a closer pic of the feathers? I cannot see if it's all marabou or he has separate soft hackle feather tied in which would act as a thicker body under action.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

From the samples that I have seen, Woody uses a chicken neck feather that is soft and "webby".
                He does a great job of pairing them up and matching the size and curvature, something that I don't have the patience for.
                He also uses powdered plastic paint, while I use vinyl paint on mine.

Comment

A guy from Dirty Dozen fishing team that woddy also belonged to is making these exact same lures. Woddy passed his info to him last year some time or maybe before.

But they are very very simular, so have no fear. They are still around. I believe the price is a little higher, but these baits so work. I have one of the larger spinner baits john mentioned and got a 32' rock last year at the bridge around the rocks
                  Zach Moore
                  Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                  Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                  Bait Towel Pro Staff
                  2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Here are a few of the colors....

...I was fortunate to buy many of these from Woody, once did so on the water when I spotted him in one of his perch holes.

Great stuff!

Ernie

Comment

That is what they consider soft hackle at the fly shop. I need to find some poeple with some white chickens.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                      X