Spring prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring prep

What should we do in prep for the spring? What style, technique, bait and lures will be most used in the spring? Is there any thing special or unique about the spring? What will be the pattern or movement of stripers in the bay? Where will be find them and does it change by month or water temp? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the help.

Come April, I will be trolling the edges of the shipping channel, with large Rapala Saltwater Series X-Raps. I'll be looking for the big mamas. Beyond that I have not given much thought to it.

Comment

big baits ....... 3-5 mph ........ deep water fished the top 20 ft .......... or Susky flats ........ big topwater or subsurface baits ......... shallows by drop offs or holes ........ approach quietly in the shallows ......... water is cold so be careful ........ fish are after shad and menhadden

Comment

I've not had much success in the spring for the big girls, I'm hoping to change that this year. From what I know, tandem bucktail rigs with big shads work pretty decently but are hard for us non-hobie guys to pull around for an extended period of time. I plan on trolling large swimbaits, tossing some large irons/jigs, and pulling some big plugs till I figure it out. When all else fails, I'll be dropping bloodworms and herring chunks.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          big baits ....... 3-5 mph ........ deep water fished the top 20 ft .......... or Susky flats ........ big topwater or subsurface baits ......... shallows by drop offs or holes ........ approach quietly in the shallows ......... water is cold so be careful ........ fish are after shad and menhadden
          4-5mph seems a bit fast when the water so cold, even in the bay i only stay about 2.7 to 3 mph

Comment

I'm going to try the Tube and Worm too... slower the better! I have a leadcore setup ready to roll to try and help get it down further.
            Used to fish more.

Comment

i was looking through jans netcraft for some wishlist stuff and they were out of red neoprine tubing to make some tube and worm rigs might find some at the fishing shows

Comment

Big lures. 9" swim baits, large plugs, tandem bucktails. Slooooow trolling. Not too deep either. They are in the upper part of the water column where it's a bit warmer.These fish are on a mission traveling to their spawning grounds. Lenny Rudow calls it "interception" fishing.

I really don't care for trolling on the boat but, "when in Rome" I've put aside my stubbornness the past 2 seasons. I've had limited success but last year I got a couple. The biggest went 38" on one of my old surf lures! A Gibbs bottle plug. It has a big profile and I just had a hunch it would work. Got a great wobble and digs down nicely. It works in the surf so why not? I'll be pulling it in the kayak this spring!
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X