Bush River anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush River anyone?

After much time, I'm finally on the water after acquiring a Pampano 120. Been out twice and loving it so far. Hope to get some slime on my ride this weekend. I don't have a truck, and have a small car, so I keep my kayak at my local yacht club on the Bush River. There are several good creeks that stripers and large mouth run in off of the bush. There's also the train bridge nearby and that is always a good spot for big catfish and yes, more stripers. Lots of piers, marsh/reeds and other fun areas to check out.

I'm planning on being on water Sunday morning. Hopefully by 8. I put out near otter point, off of route 40. Otter point is a free public ramp to put in from. There is also a rest area right on 40 that comes up to water that I have seen kayaks put in from as well.

So if you're up for some kayak fishing on the Bush River in Harford County, Sunday morning or really anytime, drop me a line!

Chris

Hey Chris, be sure to let us know how you do? I was planning to stay local on my next outing and the Bush looks so promising around the train bridge. I have been there a few times, but it was in the cold season with no action.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Is the public ramp you describe at Otter Point Yatch Club at the end of Otter Point Rd?

Originally posted by MChrisP1 View Post
      After much time, I'm finally on the water after acquiring a Pampano 120. Been out twice and loving it so far. Hope to get some slime on my ride this weekend. I don't have a truck, and have a small car, so I keep my kayak at my local yacht club on the Bush River. There are several good creeks that stripers and large mouth run in off of the bush. There's also the train bridge nearby and that is always a good spot for big catfish and yes, more stripers. Lots of piers, marsh/reeds and other fun areas to check out.

I'm planning on being on water Sunday morning. Hopefully by 8. I put out near otter point, off of route 40. Otter point is a free public ramp to put in from. There is also a rest area right on 40 that comes up to water that I have seen kayaks put in from as well.

So if you're up for some kayak fishing on the Bush River in Harford County, Sunday morning or really anytime, drop me a line!

Chris

Comment

Hey Harry, I am familiar with the area. Yes, the public boat launch is directly next to Otter Point Yatch Club...caution, parking is limited. Across the water is Flying Point Park which also has free boat ramps, but I do not believe it opens till 7or 8am...check the website. Also, Willoughby Beach Boat launch is right next to the Train Bridge. This launch is free with plenty of parking. I have never seen the gates closed, even in December. Well, I have seen them closed but not locked. I helped myself to the parking lot and ramp with no consequences. This is where I usually launch from. Do a search on youtube for "bush river fishing" their are some videos of good bass fishing around the piers and train bridge. Also video footage of rockfish at the bridge. The video subscriber is "theworkingman"
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          Hey Harry, I am familiar with the area. Yes, the public boat launch is directly next to Otter Point Yatch Club...caution, parking is limited. Across the water is Flying Point Park which also has free boat ramps, but I do not believe it opens till 7or 8am...check the website. Also, Willoughby Beach Boat launch is right next to the Train Bridge. This launch is free with plenty of parking. I have never seen the gates closed, even in December. Well, I have seen them closed but not locked. I helped myself to the parking lot and ramp with no consequences. This is where I usually launch from. Do a search on youtube for "bush river fishing" their are some videos of good bass fishing around the piers and train bridge. Also video footage of rockfish at the bridge. The video subscriber is "theworkingman"
          Thanks for the info I will do a little research. Might be a place to go will let you all know if I am headed that way soon. Gotta get a break with this rain.....

Comment

My fault..."theworkingfisherman"
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Acc...2JApIccjYre1RQ
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
              Thanks for the info I will do a little research. Might be a place to go will let you all know if I am headed that way soon. Gotta get a break with this rain.....
              I am in as well. I haven't launched near the bridge but have had some success in some other areas of the river in close proximity to the area. Would love to give the bridge a try as well.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Hey all, so it was a nice paddle this morning on the Bush. I pushed off at about 8:45 from Bush River Yacht club. The water was smooth and glassy when I headed out. This was second time taking yak out for a real paddle. The seat I got for my Pampano 120 is much more comfortable than I thought it would be, and I'm glad about that. It's a wet ride, especially when hitting wakes of the passing bass boats, but the water was warm and nice. I could see the tide coming in and paddling south against it was no big deal, I'm getting more comfortable each time out.

I was paddling along noticing more clouds the sky than I expected and was hoping for. After about 40 minutes impound myself passing the Otter Point slip,Marina and Yacht club. Heading further south, I was going down to the 'main pond' of Otter Point creek. There were lots Blue Herons out, they were all the hunt. As I watching one heron, two Bald Eagles flew down in formation and flew out across thee water about 50' out ahead of me. Beautiful birds!

So this is about an hour into my paddle, I find. A nice little cove to cast into. Fish are out, I have seen them surfacing and slapping all along the way on my paddle down. I bait up with a blood worm on 5/0 swivel hook and 1/4 oz bass weight rig I use all the time. I cast out, quicmy lost my first worm to a nibbler and a poorly hooked worm. I rebait, cast a few times before snagging my line good on something. I work my line for a bit before deciding to cut the line and pull out rod #2.

I then reposition backout from the shore I pulled into working my line and notice a batch of dark clouds coming. I pull up the radar on my phone and confirm rain is coming from the south quickly, damn! I stowed my rod and started paddling back to the BRYC. It was a good 40 minute paddle back, paddling with a purpose. Other boats were heading in to their piers giving me lots of swells to cut through. Just as I paddle my boat onto the BRYC beach, I felt first bit of drizzle hit my face, great timing!

So while, there were no fish hooked, it was a good paddle for recon and timing. There's lots of structure all along the way. I have caught cats from shore along waters up to 26". Bottom line lots of opportunity for fish here. I will also say I've caught plenty of fish cats, perch and a few stripers off boats by the bridge.

So next weekend I will make another run. Looking for that first slime!

Comment

Working...
                X