Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st outing tomorrow

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I am new to kayak fishing and this forum. I have a Tarpon 12 and a Manta Ray 120 that are showing out for delivery today. I am planning my 1st kayak outing tomorrow in the upper Chester River. Hopefully I will be able to pick up a couple catfish and some decent sized perch. Figured that the wife and I needed to get a feel for the kayaks before we ventured out into the Bay. I hope that our choices in kayaks are acceptable for fishing the river and venturing out in the bay on nice days.

Steve

New Image.jpg
    They just arrived!
    Originally posted by ws6pup View Post
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I am new to kayak fishing and this forum. I have a Tarpon 12 and a Manta Ray 120 that are showing out for delivery today. I am planning my 1st kayak outing tomorrow in the upper Chester River. Hopefully I will be able to pick up a couple catfish and some decent sized perch. Figured that the wife and I needed to get a feel for the kayaks before we ventured out into the Bay. I hope that our choices in kayaks are acceptable for fishing the river and venturing out in the bay on nice days.

Steve

Comment

Very nice. Congrats. Have fun and be safe. Its nice to have the wife tag along and fish with you. I'm dealing with the problem of being out fished by her now. Gotta step up my game.
      Hobie Outback
      WS Tarpon
      IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Congrats Steve and good luck...I had a Tarpon 120 and loved it. My first outing was the last week in December, looks like your weather will be more cooperative. It's nice to see your wife partaking in the fishing adventures.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you out there sometime
          Robby
          2014 Hobie Revo 13
          12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

My wife decided that going out a 2:30 and low tide would be a good idea. Needless to say we did not catch any fish but did enjoy the afternoon. I learned a lot about the storage on both kayaks and where to put certain things to make them easily accessible. I also learned that my wife can not keep up when paddling. Her shoulders/arms would get tired and I would have to stop and wait for her. All in all it was a good day and we paddled a few miles. We already have plans to go out again this weekend but are going to put out farther down the river in the Langford Bay area.

Comment

It takes a while to develop and condition the unique muscles necessary to paddle- same story with the calve muscles and thigh muscles used to peddle (actually stair stepping) the Hobie Mirage Drive system- she will quickly build those up after a few trips- you might want to invest some smart money in her paddle- the right paddle makes all the difference in the world- a super light carbon paddle that fits her will make her more confident and less tired- and it will amaze her what a difference a paddle makes- have her watch a few "How To kayak" You Tube videos to learn the two basic styles of paddling and see which works best for her- the self rescue video is always a "must view" for anyone new to kayaking- Jim Sammons makes some very good videos that I found helpful when I got started-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X