Newbie seeks advice from Council of Elders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie seeks advice from Council of Elders

OK, so I'm probably an elder myself, at least in terms of years, but I don't know much of anything about kayaking and I forgot everything I knew about fishing. So here goes.

Looking for a multipurpose kayak, for rec/touring/fishing. Why? For now I only want one yak. Later if/when I stick with it I can buy specialized yaks when I know more about what I want.

Kayak - thinking about 12-14' (two bulkheads). Leaning heavily toward a rec/touring yak versus a dedicated fishing yak. I was thinking 12 foot roto but speaking with some fellow backpackers even they're steering me more to 14 foot composite.

Fishing - very little since I was a kid on the Florida Keys in... well, let's just say I was born in the late 50s. So I've forgotten everything I knew about fishing from piers, bridges, boats, streamsides, etc. There also don't seem to bee many wooden rods around any more. But man, that was some good eatin' - straight to grandma's cast iron skillet. I have a couple of pack rods for backpacking. I think they're 6' and 6'6". Rod? Reel? Line? Leaders, sinkers, bobbers, bait?

I live on a tidal pond which connects directly to the Bay, so access isn't a problem. I may have to drive around the pond to get to the bay (low tide has rocks on the surface, high tide can't fit under the bridge), but it will be easy for me to get on the water. I'm one peninsula south of Annapolis.

I'm not looking to catch and release all day, and my wife is basically allergic to fish, so a few perch or one decent size fish and I'd be done for the day. Then I'd just paddle around and enjoy the scenery.

So - yak suggestions?

Fishing equipment suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

Anyway, I fly fish so as far of the conventional tackle stuff others can respond to that topic. As you know one kayak won't do everything but you can certainly find one that is very usable for all the aspects you noted. Since it looks like you are talking paddle yak first question is sit in or sit on top. I would say most of us have a sit on top since we fish. Your size and what you carry is another consideration. You kinda want to stay around 70% of the rated capacity of your yak. The longer the yak, 14 over 12 will probably track better. But, this depends on the make and model of kayak you get. You really need to kinda narrow down a few and take them for a test ride. What might really work for me, you may not judge it the same way. Also price, where you can store it, and how you gonna get it to the water are all questions to be asked.

So if you can provide some more of this info we can continue trying to narrow down some kayaks to recommend.

There are many good brands , Jackson, Native, Ocean, Wilderness Systems to name just a few. If there is a budget issue that could narrow the search or point you into looking for a used kayak to get started.

You can always go to Annapolis Canoe and Kayak in Eastport and try out some paddle kayaks.
    Last edited by On the fly; 06-22-2013, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I'm leaning toward sit in, with sit on for probable future dedicated fishing yak. Sit in is one of the things that had me leaning toward roto yaks since they usually have a larger cockpit, which makes handling gear, fish, etc. easier. Plus, I'm pretty big myself. They're also heavier but cheaper than composite.

I've got a shed which a friend once called "an aircraft hangar" so storage isn't a problem. In all likelihood I'll often just drive around the pond and put it in the bay - simple is good. As for cost, I can afford whatever I want, but don't want to waste it, which is one of the big reasons I posted here - to get advice from those with experience.

I've been to ACK, but haven't test driven any yet. I honestly didn't feel like I knew enough to even pick a couple to try.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Ok couple suggestions. Native watercraft makes an ultimate 14.5 which is kinda of a sitin but with open cockpit all the way across. Very stable, great seat, light, probably around $1,000.
        Bass pro has a Ascend D12 sit in with a nice seat for about $600
        Wilderness System pungo 14 also great kayak for around 1,000

Now there are many more. You need to get into a couple and try them out because that is the ultimate test. ACK has the Native and Wilderness system kayaks.

I started with a Wilderness system Pungo Classic 12 sit in which was a great kayak. I progressed to a Hobie Pro Angler peddal drive, which was another great boat but the weight made it difficult for me to launch any where but a boat ramp. So now I have recently bought a Jackson Cuda 14 which has been GREAT so far. A couple of considerations for me personally because of a back issue was comfortable seating which the Pro Angler and Jackson provide (as does Native Watercraft). Then came the weight issue and my knee. The pro angler, which i had for 4 years, just became a chore for me launching so
        I searched and found the Jackson Cuda 14 as fitting my needs and requirements.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions please post and I will respond. Hopefully others will chime in and give you their opinions. Just like my needs of comfortable seating, lighter weight, fishing requirements, you need to think about your specific needs when choosing a kayak. When taking the advise of others, me included, you need to make sure what I am looking for is what you are looking for. There are a lot of expereince and great people on this forum who have no trouble being honest about their yaking experiences both positive and negative. Also remember PFD #1, so get a good one, and a good and correct lenght paddle. You may need to try some different paddles with your chosen yak.

Comment

I'm still new to kayaking and fishing, but another hybrid worth looking at is the Nucanoe Frontier. I'm a bigger guy and I have tons of room. It can be set up as a tandem. It has a transom you can mount a trolling motor on and it has a slide track for lots of options on configuration. I don't have experience in other kayaks, but this one is probably not very fast compared to others. It's worth looking up at minimum.
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
            I'm still new to kayaking and fishing, but another hybrid worth looking at is the Nucanoe Frontier. I'm a bigger guy and I have tons of room. It can be set up as a tandem. It has a transom you can mount a trolling motor on and it has a slide track for lots of options on configuration. I don't have experience in other kayaks, but this one is probably not very fast compared to others. It's worth looking up at minimum.
            I think he was also looking at one he could paddle a ways. How is the nucanoe for look distance paddling and tracking? I have never been in one only seen pictures.

Comment

Wilderness systems tsunami might fit your needs. It's a sit in touring style yak but I've heard and seen a few people using them for fishing. I believe they come in both 12 and 14 ft models.

Comment

Thanks, y'all are great.

OTF, I looked at a Pungo 12 at ACK but didn't test drive anything.

chimo, it's interesting you should mention the Tsunami. There's a 14' barely used Tsunami on Craigslist for $850. What I'm not digging about it is the miniature shelves that poke into the cockpit right where my legs would go. What on earth are they for? Other than that, very tempting. Need to try a few.

A friend in MA has a similar Perception he uses to fish, and if at 6'4 he can do it I should, too. Since it's not a dedicated fishing yak I can use it just to paddle around for fun.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3874804787.html

Nitefly, the Nucanoe looks interesting, but I'm looking for more of a sit in model. Really more of a rec/touring kayak than pure fishing - I'm hoping to get away with just one for the time being.

Yep, I'm told I need a whistle, PFD, and paddle. Then practice. Then probably 2 more rods, 4 more reels, a dedicated fishing yak...

Comment

The shelves are thigh braces, guess they help you torque your body and turn / flip a kayak upright if you roll. I saw that tsunami myself and was halfway tempted to make a call. If only I had the space to store a fourth yak.....

Comment

They look like they're where thigh braces should go, but look more like torture devices. I'd have to see one in person. Thanks for not calling - I may end up with it if it lasts long enough.

Comment

Yesterday I took the family to Columbia Island Marina. I stayed in the canoe with my 3 kids. My wife used my Versa Board. At first she kayaked around but then wanted to stand up. She went exploring while I fished the bank. I only saw a few bluegills and a half dead giant goldfish.

When we regrouped her experience was much different from mine. I saw glare the entire time, even with good quality polarized glasses. She, on the other hand, saw schools of swimming carp, a few "really long fish with pointy noses" and several large mouth bass.

Reinforced that my decision to get a kayak with stand up capability, was a good one.

Comment

Working...
                      X