Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many fishing lures/ lure shopping addiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many fishing lures/ lure shopping addiction?

Guys,

Lately I feel like I've been spending more time lately at Dicks and Bass Pro shops than actually fishing. It's gotten to the point where I'm going a few times every week to stock up on some new lures to try. The problem is now that everytime I'm out I keep switching lures and tactics to the point where it's inconsitent. I also realized I don't even have enough time to use every lure or tactic. Anyone else have the same issue with lure shopping addiction? Is there a cure?

Perchy
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

This time of year it is pretty simple- jig head with Gulp will catch 90% of everything that is biting- and an XRap XR10 on the other rod will clean up anything left over-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You have the " Woman in a shoe store" disease !

Comment

I like to believe fishing take skills and not just lures. I mean lures help

Comment

I think the problem is, every technique I use has limited success which varies from outing to outing. There's so many variables in fishing and I guess I'm looking for that next best thing magic lure that smokes them and gets me 20 fish days everytime... maybe I've been watching too many lure commercials on youtube
          Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
          Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
          Northern Pike: 24 inches
          Crappie: 12 inches
          Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I've seen guys who believe in a lure catch fish with that lure when no one else does- depth, presentation, color, action are as important as the lure itself- some folks only fish one or two lures 90% of the time and never pull out the other rods, rigged with different lures- case in point- I carry a rod rigged with a top water popper- I rarely use it unless I see breaking fish or it is Oh-Dark-Thirty- thirty minutes before sunrise and thirty minutes before dead dark...
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I used to do the same thing and spent more time switching lures than fising now i keep it simple decide ahead of time where im going and how I am going to target what im after and bring one or two back up plans that way that way I spend more time figuring out the fish and actually fishing than changing lures. It has made it more enjoyable.
              D Hawk
              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I like to think of that pre-fishing trip to the Dick's or Bass Pro as "foreplay"!
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

i think buying fishing gear has become a sport in itself. guilty.
                  sigpic

Comment

lures aren't made to catch fish.....there made to catch fisherman!

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
                      Guys,

Lately I feel like I've been spending more time lately at Dicks and Bass Pro shops than actually fishing. It's gotten to the point where I'm going a few times every week to stock up on some new lures to try. The problem is now that everytime I'm out I keep switching lures and tactics to the point where it's inconsitent. I also realized I don't even have enough time to use every lure or tactic. Anyone else have the same issue with lure shopping addiction? Is there a cure?

Perchy
                      You got a problem! one of my kids works a Dick's. They had taken just about every penny from me. I too consider myself a lure addict.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        This time of year it is pretty simple- jig head with Gulp will catch 90% of everything that is biting- and an XRap XR10 on the other rod will clean up anything left over-
                        whats the most effective size and color youve found on the xrap
                        A bad day fishing is better than a good day working

Comment

I think your main problem is that you're fishing Rocky Gorge..... Just not enough bass in there and the bass don't hang in the same place. A friend of mine calls it "Sucky Gorge".

I find that I need a heck of a low fewer lures/techniques to catch smallmouth bass on the Upper Potomac. The water is shallower and the smallies are in predictable areas. I basically need a tube, 4 inch worm, a curly tailed grub, or a buzzbait and catch way more bass in one trip than I do in a full season at Rocky Gorge or Triadelphia.

I also find that on tidal largemouths (Mattawoman Creek) I also need a heck of a lot fewer lures. Chatterbait, shallow running crankbait/wakebait, or a rage toad.

I don't think buying more lures will produce more fish at Rocky Gorge.

Comment

You answered your own question when you stated "There's so many variables in fishing"...we all have those confidence baits we like to use and we often continue to throw them even when not gettin' bit. This past weekend i hit Black Hills in Montgomery County, 83 degree water temp, very stained (almost muddy)...i was marking fish like crazy and couldnt get bit on my "confidence baits". I always have a heavy rod rigged with a jig & pig THAT I NEVER THROW...i hate jig fishing, too heavy...im a finesse fisherman...anyway out of frustration I threw the jig...5 Largemouths in 7 casts!! Cast #8...the lure snapped off and went flying into the trees...it was the only Jig i had. Damn-it!! I guess the lesson I am trying to impart is; you cant force feed a fish, we have to adjust to them. I hope you dont take away from this story the need to buy more lures...you likely have all you need, you just have to tie them on and give them a try. I have to go now...I need to buy more Green/Black Jigs & Doc Irv Grub trailers.
                            Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I've done the same thing. When I first started really getting into kayak fishing I would take my tackle bag and have so many different, new lures that I tried to use everything to see what works. I've gotten skunked plenty of times by doing that. If you can afford it and get enjoyment out of shopping for new lures, I don't see a problem with it. I usually go in, grab about 6 things that look cool and end up putting them back down because I realize I probably wont use them. This happens about 3 or 4 times until I just get the one thing I'm there for and leave. To help your fishing out you'll have to find the pattern, or where they're holding. Then figure out what you have that can be presented to that fish the best way. The best presentation will depend on the conditions and the mood of the fish. Hope that helps or makes sense.
                              -Jon
                              Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                              X