Hungry baby needlefish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry baby needlefish

Today I was fishing from my kayak near the mouth of Weems Creek when I spotted a very small and slender fish wriggling through the shallow water near the shoreline (you cannot see it here, but this shows the type of habitat where it was).

001.jpg

I pulled out my old camera (with low megapixels and zoom) and took a few shots of the little fish. The fish was small and skittish, and was nearly the same color as the water. The photos below are not high quality. However, what they show is really cool. Today's fish was indeed a young needlefish of about 5". It had a 1.5" baitfish cross-wise in its jaws and was struggling to adjust the baitfish so it could swallow it.

Here is a zoomed in version of the original photo followed by the same view with some digital enhancement.

002.JPG 002a.jpg

I enjoy seeing juvenile fish in nature -- to see them successfully feeding is a bonus.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

nice catch.... wonders of nature
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
    X