Edwards ferry -upper Potomac fishing report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwards ferry -upper Potomac fishing report

Just a quick report here. Went out on Friday morning at Edwards Ferry on the Potomac...(this is about twenty minutes south of Gaithersburg). River level @ Point of Rocks was under 3.0. Nice easy paddle and very few boats on a weekday. Pretty steady action with five fish near two pounds and one at three pounds over three hours of fishing...unbelievable power in these river smallness. Mostly caught with soft plastics and jerk baits. Easy to paddle up stream and real slow downstream float. Main channel is only 6-8 feet with some grass bottom...this is where they are if using soft plastics. Enjoy! PS...nice place to park for free/outhouse facility came in handy!

Did you focus your efforts upstream or downstream near the ledges and Goose Creek inflow?
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
      Did you focus your efforts upstream or downstream near the ledges and Goose Creek inflow?
      Started going directly across to Goose creek and all the way up the creek to the first set of small rapids...lots of small fish were caught. Came back out to the main Potomac looking for bigger fish. Went upstream about a quarter mile and kind of stayed over the deep channel at the really slow bend in the river. This is where the current is the least. Bounced a Texas rigged soft plastic through the shallow grass and hooked up a few times. Then went downstream past the boat launch and on the MD side you will see some old cement locks (caught my 3# smallie there with a jerk bait)-...then floated down a bit to the big boulders (you can see a slight ripple in the water over them)- caught a few there...then came back in. A good day- 5 fish in 4 hours (no including the dinks)- If you are interested in a float from Whites Ferry down or POR down, this would be fun. -John B.

Comment

Thanks,

I've had the most luck at the mouth of the creek and the ledge just below the ramp. That's why I asked. There's not a lot of structure upriver. However, in early season when water level is up, shoreline eddies can hold some nice fish. I got an 18" er from a laydown on the bank one warm February day a couple years ago.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

When I had my jet boat I launched and fished that area all the time!

Comment

Working...
          X