I want to Kayak too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to Kayak too!

Hey guys I've never kayaked but I'm a fishing addict and I see guys out there and it looks like a fun time. I know absolutely nothing about kayaking or boating but I'm willing to learn. I'm located near Baltimore but I usually fish in Annapolis or off of the Choptank river bridge. I have no idea where to start and what to look for in a Kayak I've looked in Craigslist and Dicks etc. but I'm not sure what I need. I would love to eventually fish in the bay so I don't want to guess at what I need in a rig because I don't have a bunch of money to dump into it.

thanks for any advice you can offer. also I hope I'm posting in the right place

I think that many people will agree with me when I say a Hobie is the way to go. Although I do not own one myself I plan to in the future.

Do you have a price range?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
      I think that many people will agree with me when I say a Hobie is the way to go. Although I do not own one myself I plan to in the future.

I don't have a hard cap per se but I wanted to start around the $500 range

Comment

Just bought a hobie,
        can't turn back... riding in 10 mph winds is a breeze.

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post

Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I think they're out of my range. Maybe I can find I good deal on a used one

Comment

I just bought myself my first kayak about 2 months ago and after hearing great reviews on the hobie, I knew I rather spend the high price now then waste $$$ on a few cheaper kayaks to only realize the mistake I made later. Save and go for the hobie.

Comment

They are ot cheap. Here is a used one for sale http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3821232497.html Not mine.

Comment

You dont have to have to buy a hobie they are expensive although great fishing boats and easy for beginners I would suggest either hooking up with some forum members or going to a kayak store that does demos and take a couple of models for a ride and get a feel for what they can do before you put your cash down thats what I did and I managed to find the right fit for me and it wasnt what I orginaly looked at
                D Hawk
                Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

That would be awesome if someone would be willing to show me the ropes. I'm a school teacher on summer break so my schedule is the epitome of flexible.

Comment

Seems to me a lot of guys here ply the waters of the bay. They seem to do a lot of trolling. If that's your thing the Hobie Mirage drive setup is great you can troll an have your hands free.

I fish mostly on reservoirs and on the Potomac rivers. There's lots of skinny water, and rocks. The mirage drive;s not to good there. Plus, I troll very infrequently. I spend most of my time casting.

I fish out of WS boats. I have a Pamlico and a Tarpon.

The best craft depends on the kind of fishing that you do. I suggest that you try to paddle a few before you buy if that's possible.
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by orangecar View Post
                      That would be awesome if someone would be willing to show me the ropes. I'm a school teacher on summer break so my schedule is the epitome of flexible.
                      I only have one kayak but you are welcome to take it for a test paddle send me a pm and we can meet up somewhere
                      D Hawk
                      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I live in Annapolis and fish the Severn several days each week. I have two sit-on-top paddle kayaks. If you want to meet me some time, you can check them out. I also recommend that you visit some kayak shops that rent boats. That way you can check out a variety of types and see what features you really want.

Many of the MKF members are huge Hobie fans -- and rightfully so. However, there are plenty of other brands and models of kayaks that will get you on the water and allow you to catch fish.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Keep in mind you have to get the kayak to and from somewhere... there are carts you can
                          make or buy. And then you have to get it on the roof of your car.
                          My roof rack is only rated at 75 pounds... not very much considering my kayak
                          weighs 50lbs.

Comment

isn't half the fun slinging a 70 lb boat on your shoulder and walking out into the waves? lol

Comment

I have a Hobie outfitter tandem which I keep on Prettyboy reservoir. If you would like to go out sometime, I'd be happy to meet you and take you out. That way you could experience the Hobie and fishing from a kayak in general. i am retired and usually go out later in the afternoon, but could be persuaded to go earlier if necessary. Shoot me a private message with your phone number if you're interested. Dave
                              Carpe Pisces

Comment

Working...
                              X