Shrimp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp ?

I've seen a lot of references to folks baitfishing for croaker with raw shrimp on bottom rigs.

I've never fished with it before and was wondering about a few details:

1) Should the shrimp be fished w/ shell on or should I peel it first ?
    2) If I buy shrimp that are like an inch or so long, should I try and fish that whole or cut it into multiple baits ?

I've been fishing a lot w/ spinners lately but thought it might be fun to do a baitfishing trip w/ shrimp & fishbites.

I use raw shrimp for basically all the fishing that I do it works well in saltwater and ever fresh for panfish. For me however I have only used shrimp with the shell about 4''? For smaller ones I guess if it fits it should work. I just cut it to where it covers the hook.

For croaker some have had sucess with using cooked salad shrimp here http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Star-...12-oz/22700533
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I buy the cheap, peeled, raw, frozen shrimp in the frozen seafood section. For croaker/perch cut them in dime sized chunks and cover the hook just up to the bend. No need to go all the way up the shank. Sometimes smaller is better.

Comment

Yes, but big fish like big baits and hooks! Both can weed out the fun and constant action, but the rewards can be worth it
        sigpic

Comment

usually get them cheapest from a asian grocery store. the thawed, raw ones, with the shell uncut.

FYI this year it seems like the croaker aren't biting without bloodworm or fishbite.

Comment

^croaker love the surf and turf cocktail!
            sigpic

Comment

I've been using the cooked garden salad shrimp and the fish love them (WP, Croakers, and Spots). Their about the perfect size to go onto a hook.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

For those of us artificial bait guys, try the Gulp new penny color shrimp- 1/8 jighead and work it slow on the bottom- big croaker, redfish and trout eat it like candy- I clip off the very end of tail and thread it on the jig head from the tail making it swim naturally the way a shrimp does when fleeing from a predator- toss it towards structure, let it settle to the bottom, jig, wait, jig, wait, jig- set the hook- the fish normally hit on the wait after the jig as the lure is falling back to the bottom-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm still learning how to effectively use the artificial baits to catch consistently. I'm use to fishing in Florida where I used live shrimp or catch bait fish with a cast net to use.

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  For those of us artificial bait guys, try the Gulp new penny color shrimp- 1/8 jighead and work it slow on the bottom- big croaker, redfish and trout eat it like candy- I clip off the very end of tail and thread it on the jig head from the tail making it swim naturally the way a shrimp does when fleeing from a predator- toss it towards structure, let it settle to the bottom, jig, wait, jig, wait, jig- set the hook- the fish normally hit on the wait after the jig as the lure is falling back to the bottom-

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

I use a cast net to catch peanut bunker for live bait and chum- Next time catch a couple of dozen good sized ones for the live well and put the rest you catch in a bucket of wet sand- mash up the ones in the bucket of sand- makes a hell of a mess, but throwing a handful of sand over board ever now and then acts just like chum with the sand soaked in mashed up menhaden sinking down to the bottom- watch your live lines after throwing the wet sand over board- you would be surprised how effective this method is- I love fishing under boat docks in Florida for big snook with live peanut bunker- toss one under the dock and hang on for dear life- anyway- up here the live bait works pretty good but so does artificials and you don't have to waste a lot of time fishing for bait- I don't even stop at the tackle shops to buy bait any more- just launch and tie on my lures- I mostly troll until I find the fish, then I usually stop and cast for them- the last trip out the fish wanted trolled baits- they would not hit the cast baits, just the ones you were trolling- strange situation, but then you have to pay attention to what you were doing when you caught the first fish if you want to be successful- the depth, the color, the speed, the weather conditions all come into play-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

When I use raw shrimp I buy them from the Korean grocery store with the head and shell on. I have noticed over the years that croakers can be picky when it comes to eating the tail end of shrimp. I would get bites sooner with parts of the upper body vs the tail end. Sometimes I peel the shell sometimes I dont. Depending on how picky the fish are.

This year I have caught a lot of croakers on gulp shrimp and swm mullet.
                      Hobie Outback
                      WS Tarpon
                      IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Shrimp works well for me in the tidal creeks & rivers for channel and blue cats as well. I use the whole thing, headless, unpeeled on either a two hook bottom rig or Carolina rig.
                        2013 WS Ride 135
                        2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          I clip off the very end of tail and thread it on the jig head from the tail making it swim naturally the way a shrimp does when fleeing from a predator- toss it towards structure, let it settle to the bottom, jig, wait, jig, wait, jig- set the hook- the fish normally hit on the wait after the jig as the lure is falling back to the bottom-
                          I need a picture...can't imagine this, but interested
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                          X