New to it all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to it all

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. 30 yr old man, new to MD, new to fishing, new to kayaking and new to this forum. Three weeks ago I started fishing for the first time since childhood, and while I fell in love with it, I quickly grew frustrated with the lack of shore access to the good shore spots on the water I was fishing. Went on Loch Raven with a canoe and immediately new I needed to get a fishing kayak.

Last weekend I purchased an Ascend FS10 and today I took it out at gunpowder state park on the inlets by the bay. Explored mostly but got to cast a few times and began to assimilate myself to doing fishing things in a kayak. No catches, but it was a success in the fact that I got comfortable and made it back to land dry.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'll be lurking, trying to learn as much as I can. My two biggest interests are where are there public launches or worthwhile lakes/rivers to fish from and what fish are worthwhile keepers (I'm an avid cook).

Hey were pretty much in the same situation. I'm a 30 y/o guy that wants to get into kayak fishing also. from my experience there are a lot of helpful people here that are willing to go out of their way to help you get your feet wet. Maybe you can link up with someone from the board to learn some local fishing holes.

Comment

Lots of folks willing to show you the ropes- best to hook up with someone posting a fishing trip- there are enough folks now a days that just about every location has someone- there is a small but growing group of us down in southern Maryland and a bunch around Baltimore- just watch the forum for posts looking for fishing partners-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Dont lurk, participate! Welcome man!
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome Bro! I was in the same situation last year. New to fishing and new to Kayaking. It's addictive and as such you will learn quickly! Like others have said, meet people and go out with them. Lots of folks willing to pass on their knowledge. Look for the Meet and Greets, those are guaranteed to have helpful folks!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes. In the few days since I've found this forum, I've already gotten some great ideas on spots to try and bait to use. I will definitely keep an eye on the forum and jump on the opportunity to go out with some experienced yak anglers. I live in Baltimore and work up north in Harford county, but am willing to explore a bit.

Comment

I am new here and fish from an fs10 also , I fish almost every Friday in the magothy if your interested let me know we could go catch some perch , launch from private beach.Aways good fishing in the evening maybe one evening 6pm till dark.

Comment

I am also new to kayak fishing. Got a kayak this year and I love it. Mainly launch from JG but I have been wanting to fish the Magothy. Welcome to the site. Lots of useful info on here.

Comment

Welcome guys!
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman View Post
                    I am new here and fish from an fs10 also , I fish almost every Friday in the magothy if your interested let me know we could go catch some perch , launch from private beach.Aways good fishing in the evening maybe one evening 6pm till dark.
                    Would be pumped to hit magothy one Friday in the future. I'm out of town this Friday, but the other Fridays in July look good. Looks like we might be able to get a few people...

Comment

Working...
                    X