Anyone fish Dundee creek lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fish Dundee creek lately?

Havent fished there in 15 years and that was by shore and just wondering what to expect, what areas may be better and any tips for lures to catch some bass.
    Assuming the bass fishing is still decent there??

Im finally getting to do some fishing from my kayak since my gf got one this week and is also interested in yak fishing.

Took a ride down there to check things out today. Unfortunately no one working at the marina or the ultimate water sports shack.

Theres a nice kayak launch spot near the UWS shed and kayaks. I'm assuming its ok to use that to launch at??
    I saw its a $10 fee to launch boats at the ramp but didnt see anything about kayaks anywhere.

Hung around a little while hoping for someone to show up but it was like a ghost town down there.
    We even pulled the rods out of the truck and threw some lures around the kayak launch and floating docks.
    The breeze was a little stiff today and the water seemed very high but thought we could at least pull out some perch or blue gills or maybe a small bass but not even a nibble.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

At some public ramps, cartop boats are free to launch. But the State Park Dundee Marina web site makes no mention about kayaks being free. So I guess its a $10 charge for cartops too. Maybe make a call to the Gunpowder Park people anyway to check on launch fees for kayaks.

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/publicla...wderdundee.asp
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

It's been 15years since I've fished Dundee. We used to catch a ton of yellow perch there.
      Native Slayer 12
      Native Ultimate

Comment

I fished there a couple of years ago and always launched free without any problems right next to the UWS there's an easy spot to launch from. Parking right in front. I think there's a picnic bench there too.
        I used to do OK with pulling rattle traps through the weeds and I saw a lot of guys working texas rigged worms catching fish. Opposite the launch try the shore line where the private pier is and that entire shore line/cove.

Comment

It's good for perch, catfish and carp, but the bass bite isn't great. There are much better places to go nearby. The launch is free at the cartop location.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

My neighbor and I were talking about Dundee the other day. He took his glitter boat there recently and said he did well fishing frogs on the grass. I may have to give it a shot.
            Native Slayer 12
            Native Ultimate

Comment

I gave it a shot this morning. Fished the grass without a sniff.
              Native Slayer 12
              Native Ultimate

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                was planning on going this morning myself but was pretty wore out from being on the boat all day yesterday.

I picked up some Booyah baits frogs from bass pro last week to give a try.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I caught a 19" pickerel there earlier this spring.

Comment

Back in the 1960s several of the western shore tidal rivers supported excellent populations of lmbass and pickerel. The list of rivers included Middle, Saltpeter, Dundee, Gunpowder, and many more. The big fish citations listed in the back of the 1960s era "Fishing in Maryland" magazine would show looong lists of big bass and big pickerel caught in these rivers. Salt Peter and Dundee were the premier rivers for bass and pickerel. At the time all these rivers were nearly locked up tight every summer with extremely heavy growths of of Asian millfoil... so much so that motor boats were confined to narrow channels that were kept open by boat props chopping up the millfoil. Then along came Hurricane Agnus in 1972 change EVERYTHING and these rivers, and the rest of the Bay, haven't been the same since.

BTW, Asian millfoil is a nasty exotic plant that, once it got a foot-hold, went hog-wild for years in the brackish waters of the Bay. Then, immediately after Hurricane Agnus, it disappear almost completely. I guess it's still around here and there, but only a fraction of what it was during the 1960s.

Anyone here old enough to remember the outbreak of Asian millfoil in these rivers??
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                    X