Best value in low profile baitcaster reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best value in low profile baitcaster reel

I just got back from a Gulf Coast trip- fished for snapper, grouper and inshore for reds, specks, jacks and such- I took my Cabela's Salt Striker extra heavy action travel rod and Daiwa Lexa 300H with 30# braid- The combo was excellent- handled everything from 4 oz. jigs deep offshore to sight casting 1/2 oz swim baits to breaking schools inshore- the drag is as advertised- big, tough massive drag, yet smooth- one word of advice based on my experience from this trip- pack the line on the reel as hard as you can- a big fish will cut the line down into the spool if it is normally packed on- you get a 30 pound Jack Cravelle on, believe me it is a bitch of a fish on light tackle in shallow water- anyway the entire point of this post- the Daiwa Lexa is a great value- it is a Revo Toro NaCl at $100 less money- cast great, light weight, tough as nails, and stands up to big fish- what is not to like? I ordered me another one sitting in the airport waiting for my flight home- love my Revo's, but the Daiwa's got them beat...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

They are one of the best reels on the market, the 300 for the salt water even the 100 for bass..

SOLID drag like you said, salt water, light. And its diawa. Hands down one of the best companies out there.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Sorry to respond a few weeks late but im doing some research on reels and found this post...Can you give some feedback on the gear ratios for the Lexa? I noticed the 7.1 is most common... seems pretty fast and i saw on Daiwa's website they offer a 5.1 and a 6.3. They say this reel is good for bigger inshore fish so i was wondering what would be better, more torque or higher speed. Thanks in advance for helping with my decision.
      2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Personal choice- I got two Lexa 300 H standard ratio reels in lieu of the high speed version for the torque of cranking in big fish.I have used these reels on several fishing trips including a Gulf coast offshore snapper trip for red snapper and they do just fine...the 6.3 ratio seems plenty fast-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-23-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I think I am going to settle on the middle road as well, 6.3 gear ratio. I always research my fishing gear purchases pretty thoroughly and almost all of the reviews on this reel have been favorable like yours. The only criticism I've read is regarding this reel being noisy. Did you experience any of this noise on your reels? Some said you can lube and alleviate it for the most part. Also if you don't mind me asking too many questions, besides your travel rod what rod do you normally pair your lexa 300 with? Final question do you have the power handle?
          Last edited by toyomo; 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM.
          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

On one of my Lexa outfits I have the reel mounted on a Wright & McGill Flats Blue Capt. Blair Wiggins 7'10' Heavy action rod- the other is on a St. Croix MojoBass Heavy action 7'9" rod. I haven't noticed any noise from either reel- I have both reels loaded with 30# Cabela's RipChord II braid. I ordered both reels from Hadrell's Warehouse- got the first one on sale for $153 and since then the price has gone up to $160.00-

Comment

For everyone that bought a LEXA 100, here is great REBATE offer that you might like. Need to have bought it during: June 1, 2013 and August 31, 2013.

http://www.daiwa.com/ImageLibrary/ImageLib/PDF/LEXA100_$25_VISA_Prepaid_Card_Offer.pdf
              Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Easy answer, you can do your self. "More torque or more speed"? If you are cranking in big fish or heavy weights, more torque. If you are working fast lures, such as spoons or cranks, more speed. If you want both, you may need a two speed reel.

A high speed reel will work for big fish. However, you need to do the pump and crank type thing during the fight. For the most part, a reel is just a line storage device. The rod does the fish fighting. If you pump up the rod and crank down, a high speed reel is just great, for fast line pick up. It is all about fishing style.

Comment

Funny how much money we spend on a "line storage device" lol...I can see advantages to both sides of the spectrum that's why I was having a tough time deciding. I think the manufacturers want you to buy 50 different reels, each for a very specific lure which is pretty unrealistic for me which is why I try to look for multi species and style equipment. I think I am going to settle on the middle speed. I don't need a winch and I also don't need blazing fast and I think you can compensate somewhat like you pointed out.
                  2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ron I agree the Lexa has definitely changed the way I look at baitcaster's!

Toyo, I've had mine since they came out... some just make noise. Its more noticible when u have the brakes totally off. It'll allow the spool to have some play. So I don't open it all the way up. Other than that its perfect! I have mine paired with a medium action Trevala. I've used it mainly for togging from 10 feet to around 100! Its a great combo! Dogfish hit the gear ratio on the head. I got the HS version and I've gotta pump the fish up, but I don't mind it. The lower ratio will let you do more cranking on a fighting fish. I also have the power handle. Since Im7 using mine for just dropping down, I like it ove the paddles. I'm thinking of maybe getting a 100, but we'll see! Lol
                    MYT

Comment

Thanks mytmouse I just read your post about the doormat flounder in deep water and pumping your rod with your hs lexa so as you and dogfish/ronaultmtd said it seems to just be a matter of preference. Im sure all will get the job done. Im probably going to order a Lexa this weekend and thinking of pairing it to a Trevala s.
                      2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

That's a good choice... I didn't have the extra $$ to get the S, well more like I didn't wanna save. Quite a few guys on the board have theirs paired with the S and they love em! I think you'll be very satisfied. When I first took my Lexa on the Morning Star for Tog and Black Sea Bass, I found myself still thumbing the spool. More out of habit than anything. So my next drop I tightened it down some, kept my thumb off the spool and that bad boy didn't BUDGE!! The drag still amazes me! LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X