Rotten Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotten Weather

How are folks coping with this weather of high winds and sporadic downpours?

Are you going to sheltered areas or are you staying in waiting for the sun to return?

How has the weather affected your catch if you have gotten out?

Mark
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

On Sunday I got caught in heavy rain, but luckily I was under the wilson bridge, so it offered plenty of protection...not to mention being so close to the launch. I'd opt to stay away from open areas when the weather is unstable though.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I am thinking about an early, early morning trip tomorrow- probably to St. J's Creek in Southern Maryland for trout and reds- launch in the dark and fish until...until it starts storming or until I have limits on both target species- I'll check the weather radar before I leave the house- if the storms are already forming coming from the south I'll wait another day- trust me you don't want to get caught on the water a ways from the launch in a thunderstorm with 7' carbon rods in the air...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

When I was kayak crabbing last Friday, I got caught in a 10 min downpour on my way back to shore. The down pours were off an on.

Comment

Rain is annoying, but once you are soaked, you are not likely to get wetter. I have been rained on four times in Weems Creek over the past three weeks. Quick-dry fishing pants and shirts help under wet conditions. If I am already out there and feel like fishing more, I keep fishing.

Thunder storms are an entirely different story. If I see lightning or hear thunder close by, I head for shelter.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We have the other weather issue tomorrow, beside rain and thunderstorms- a south wind at 15 mph at 8 a.m.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Takes me a minute or two to put on my Frog Toggs... and I stay nice and dry...

The weather man is saying the low that is south of the Great Lakes is going to retrograde...
              opening up better weather by the 4th... tomorrow is touch and go as far as storms.

Not sure what the 15mph winds you are observing...
              Sandy Point to North Beach...
              .SYNOPSIS FOR THE TIDAL POTOMAC AND MD PORTION OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY...
              A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WILL REMAIN OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC THROUGH
              MID-WEEK...WHILE A BERMUDA HIGH IS ANCHORED OVER THE WESTERN
              ATLANTIC. THE HIGH WILL SHIFT TO THE WEST OVER THE AREA LATE IN THE
              WEEK AND INTO THE WEEKEND.

TONIGHT
              S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.
              NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND SCATTERED TSTMS.

WED
              S WINDS 10 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

WED NIGHT
              S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
              TSTMS.

But maybe it's Cobb Island to Smith Point...
              TONIGHT
              S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 FT.
              NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND SCATTERED TSTMS.

WED
              S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.
              SCATTERED SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

WED NIGHT
              S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. A CHANCE OF
              SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

Sounds like they are expecting storms in the Cobb Island south area...

Tomorrow is tomorrow... hopefully it will be an uneventful day.
              Or at least the wind at your back for the paddle home.
              Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-02-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

My GF just got a kayak to fish with me and we are both on vacation this week and this weather sucks so far.

Any decent spots to launch at that will get us out of the wind (as much as possible)??
                We live in the Essex/Dundalk area and dont want to travel to far.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                X