2011 Meet & Greet Tenative Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Meet & Greet Tenative Schedule

We had 14 at the M&G today. Thanks to everyone who attended.

We did come up with a tentative schedule for the year. Will need someone to volunteer each month to make sure we have a place to launch and find a location for lunch and/or dinner or let us know if we need to bring somehting to eat.

Whomever sets it up will also need to look at tides, weather etc. Decide what time of day. Definately want to do some afternoon/evening fishing. Some have also asked about meeting on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Let us know if you would like to volunteer. I can cover, May, Aug, Sept and November.

Feb - Get together for rigging and/or lure making

March - Shad fishing - location - day?

April 9th - Rockfish - Susky Flats -

May 14 - Bay Bridge - Spring Trophy Season

June 11 - Afternoon/Evening - Pt. Lookout - flounder, croaker, rockfish

July 9 - Snakehead Hunt - Mattawoman Creek - Potomac

Aug 13 - Bay Bridge - Tournament - Rockfish, perch, bluefish

Sept. 10 - Spanish Mackeral, Rockfish - Ferry's Cove, Eastern Bay

Oct. 8 - Cowhead Ray Hunt - Rockfish - South River

Nov. 12 - Rockfish, Perch - Bachlors Pt. Oxford, Choptank River

Dec. 10 - Kiptopeake
    Last edited by eastonkayaker; 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM.

That looks excellent. Regarding the shad trip in March, that's too early for shad except for maybe in the James River. I fish the shad run in the Rapp pretty religiously, and the peak usually isn't until mid to late April.

However, the first few weeks in March are a primo time for yellow perch. Allen's Fresh, Wayson's Corner on the Patuxent, or Jackson Landing on the Patuxent would be good bets, especially near slack low tide. If it's only a few folks fishing, the St. Mary's River or McIntosh Run could be good, short float trips, but those creeks are small. The Nanjemoy is another option that is really pretty and has good perch fishing. Bass and catfish are available there as well.

The Mattaponi in VA is supposed to be good, too, and pretty. The Occoquan in VA is good, but there can be a lot of boaters there to compete with, and the river is kind of noisy from all the traffic.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I'll be glad to host the South River meet and greet. October should be a better time for the river than last years meet.

Of course this year, I'll check to see if there is a Navy game in town that day, for the after fishing BS session.

Comment

Great seeing you guys and meeting some for the first time. Thanks to Bryan for setting this up. Good job on the restaurant, too. They brew a nice porter!

Great looking list and I hope to make the majority of them. I like Bill's March suggestions! Sounds like volunteering to me! Are these all tidal areas?

I'll volunteer for the July snakehead hunt. This should be an evening M&G. Tides look good. High tide at Ft.Washington is 3:22PM and low at 9:44PM. The falling tide will bring the fish out from deep in the back areas with heavy cover and closer to the the channel.

Not much at the end of Indian Head Hwy as far as restaurants so I'll look for a place on the way. We can get together before fishing.

I was talking to Michael (Redfish12) and he mentioned the Jamaica Bay Tournament coincides with our May date. It's one of the biggest. What do you guys think about carrying the MKF flag up there for that? Be really cool to have strong representation. There's camping and motels around. We could have 2 M&G's in May.

Looking forward to a great 2011 !
        John

Comment

Anyone have any ideas about going down to the OBX for a long weekend of fishing? Leave Thursday night, fish Friday, Sat and maybe Sunday morning before heading back. The triangle wrecks off the beach and the tug boat by the pier are usually loaded with triggers, blues, mackeral, and tog/flounder. Also shallow enough to snorkel and spearfish as well. If you are a diver its a lot of fun as well. OI can also be done although have to be real careful in the inlet itself.

Thanks for setting up the schedule-I hope to make a few of these as well along with Glen if he has recovered. He's having rotator cuff surgery and also has a blown disc in his back that may need surgery as well.

Comment

Jamacia Bay sounds like fun. I have read about it. Those who have attended all speak well of the event, the fishing and the people.

I would also like to get a group set to go to the Outer Banks. Of course, I am more interested in Redfish. I have been reading the North Carolina Kayak fishing forum. It sounds like some really good fishing.

I go to the upper Potomac quite a few times a year. If anyone is interested in tagging along on a few of those trips, you all would be welcome. The smallmouth fishing is fun, with an occasional walleye thrown in.

PS: Yes, Bill's suggestion about March may be very good. Someone at the meet also expressed some concern about that being too early.

Of course, I can't miss the snakehead hunt. I might even catch a few bass.

So many fish, so little time.

Again, good seeing everyone, and thanks Bryan for setting things up. Hope you all didn't spend too much at Bass Pro.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I am still kayakless, but I may be running a kayak rental business with a friend at Assateague Island this summer. He worked there last year and I helped out a few times and the owner is hoping we may take over for the summer. It is located right on the left before you go over the bridge to Assateague....
              http://islandadventurekayaking.com/

So if everything works out and we are running the shack, we may try to set up a flounder tournament that would launch from our location. I was thinking middle of July (since we're gonna try to have a tourney at the bridge in August)? Hopefully I'll have more details in the coming months.

Also, I would love to help anyway I can for the August Tournement... I had designed a sample entry form a while back on the site. Bryan feel free to ask for anything and I'll do what I can.

Comment

Matt,

Will get a hold of you in the next couple weeks about the tournament. I am definately interested in a flounder tournament it would be good to schedule it some other weekend then July 9 can't miss the snakehead hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                  Great seeing you guys and meeting some for the first time. Thanks to Bryan for setting this up. Good job on the restaurant, too. They brew a nice porter!

Great looking list and I hope to make the majority of them. I like Bill's March suggestions! Sounds like volunteering to me! Are these all tidal areas?

I'll volunteer for the July snakehead hunt. This should be an evening M&G. Tides look good. High tide at Ft.Washington is 3:22PM and low at 9:44PM. The falling tide will bring the fish out from deep in the back areas with heavy cover and closer to the the channel.

Not much at the end of Indian Head Hwy as far as restaurants so I'll look for a place on the way. We can get together before fishing.

I was talking to Michael (Redfish12) and he mentioned the Jamaica Bay Tournament coincides with our May date. It's one of the biggest. What do you guys think about carrying the MKF flag up there for that? Be really cool to have strong representation. There's camping and motels around. We could have 2 M&G's in May.

Looking forward to a great 2011 !
                  John
                  I have no problem changing the date to May 7th, Jamaica Bay sounds good! We can make a decsion later in the spring, see how many people will actually go to NY.

Comment

thats a good idea Matt. we need more flounder trips. when does the shop open for the season?

Comment

Kanvery and I went to J-bay last year and can field any questions and help organize!!

I did a review on the tourney last year that is on this site if you can find it. There is also a lot of information out there on the tournament, I believe it is in the 8th year this year. Kayak Fishing Magazine dot net has a sub site dedicated to it and it has a lot of good information.

I am also for sure interested in a trip to those wrecks of the beach down on the OBX! I was actually talking about that on Saturday and I would love to check those out either with a spear gun or with rod and reel.

It was great meeting everyone out there on Saturday! Looks like a great schedule lined up, should be a great year! Now if this weather would just warm up...
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                        I am still kayakless, but I may be running a kayak rental business with a friend at Assateague Island this summer. He worked there last year and I helped out a few times and the owner is hoping we may take over for the summer. It is located right on the left before you go over the bridge to Assateague....
                        http://islandadventurekayaking.com/

So if everything works out and we are running the shack, we may try to set up a flounder tournament that would launch from our location. I was thinking middle of July (since we're gonna try to have a tourney at the bridge in August)? Hopefully I'll have more details in the coming months.

Also, I would love to help anyway I can for the August Tournement... I had designed a sample entry form a while back on the site. Bryan feel free to ask for anything and I'll do what I can.
                        Where on Assateague? THe bayside there is good for flounder from yaks because of less boat traffic and more cuts .........

Comment

It was great meeting everyone and putting some faces with names. Upcoming year looks great and am pretty excited to do some fishing in the future.

Redfish,
                          I would definatly be interested in taking a weekend down in the OBX.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            Kanvery and I went to J-bay last year and can field any questions and help organize!!
                            Now that's the spirit! Michael, maybe set up a poll and see how much interest there is. Planning early will be helpful. Be great to get a good sized group to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mdfisherkid View Post
                              It was great meeting everyone and putting some faces with names. Upcoming year looks great and am pretty excited to do some fishing in the future.

Redfish,
                              I would definatly be interested in taking a weekend down in the OBX.

.......... and I want to use your pool for lure testing .......

Comment

Working...
                              X