Goals for 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goals for 2011

Every year I try to set some goals for the next season and I thought it might be worthwhile to share them with you guys. Last year my goal was to catch a 30" rock from the kayak and I achieved this!

This year:

1) Catch a rock on a popper- not a surface plug, a subsurface walk the dog, or the dropper on a popper.... but actual topwater.

2) Catch a 30" rock on the fly

3) Catch a snakehead

I have other goals and areas of my tactics I'd like to improve but these are the main goals I hope to achieve. I also plan on spending a lot more time vertical jigging as well as hunting other species besides rock when they are in town.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Those are good goals. I bet you can get your striper on a popper if you hit Piney Point or St. Jerome's in the evening this summer, assuming this year will be like the last two years (saying that is probably the kiss of death).

I'd like to get a 30" fish, period. I guess I'll have to hit the Bay Bridge more this year.

I'd also like to catch more fish on the fly. I was hoping to catch some flounder and redfish on my flyrod this year at PLO, but I couldn't find either with lures.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My goal is to catch a spanish mackeral and flounder.

Just to say I did it, would like to kayak across Chesapeake Bay at the bay bridge. Hemingways to SP and back. Of course I would be trolling while doing this.

Comment

Michael: Like I was saying, if you want to, join us in march for a trip up to the flats with our guy Jeff for that 30" on the fly. He is damn good guide and grew up in the havre de grace area. We didnt get into any super big fish on our one trip last year but I did manage a 25" on my 7wt. We want to get out there early in the C&R season and mark some spots with him and then go back and fish them on our own for the next few weekends of the season. Anyway here are mine...

Rockfish Goals
        1.) 30"+ trolling (yak)
        2.) 30"+ jigging (yak)
        3.) Keeper on the fly from the yak

Misc.
        4.) Shark from the kayak
        5.) Brookie from the Gunpowder
        6.) Dolphin on the fly

Here are a couple stretch/lifetime goals that I could, but most likely wont, be able to accomplish in 2011.
        7.) White Marlin on the fly
        8.) White marlin from a kayak
        9.) 20"+ brown trout from the gunpowder.
        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Mostly species goals for me. I want to up the number of species with at least croaker, flounder, and a larger species of shark. Not sure what else I should even try to catch yet but I will add them to the list as I hear about them

Comment

My goals are easy, fish more than last year and raise the new Lab pup. Not sure he'll ever ride along on the yak, but he'll make a good companion on the boat.

Comment

goals for this year include:

having more patience with lures
              catch more fish
              catch bigger fish
              target flounder, trout and redfish more
              try more flies

Comment

Reverse order...

C-Hawk- He's a beaut! I think there is plenty of room on your yak for him! Heck, he'd probably fit pretty nicely in that hatch you have.

Surf- Let me know when you want to make a flounder or trout trip, I love spec fishing and I suck at flounder fishing, but it's fun.

Chimo- I think you should have no problems catching croaker this year, pretty similar to how you were catching spot, they hit most of the same stuff.

Mike- You know that I'm definitely interested in taking that trip! I've got 2 8 weights ready to go (floating/intermediate lines) and I would love to catch one of those big fish on the fly! Although, I'll be honest, if I'm in a situation where I have a chance of catching a fish that size and I have the choice between trying not to line the fish with the fly rod or casting another set up at them, I will pretty much chuck my fly rod every time. I need to go back to only bringing a fly rod with me or I'll never catch anything. Those are some good goals, here's my longer yak list.

Catch a(n).... AJ, King Mac, Cobia, and a yellowtail jigging from the kayak. I think I'll have to mothership for most of those, but I'm heading to San Diego for a couple of weeks sometime this winter and I plan on trying when I'm out there for the YT. I also want to catch a large bullfish this summer, but I think that should be easy, hard to catch a really big one and get proof though!

Easton- That is a long paddle in the summer, you can ask Kanvery about that, he did it last summer and I don't think he's that eager to do it again. I didn't see any spanish last year around the bridge, but then again I didn't look up much from the pilings. The only spanish I have ever caught have come from Murrel's inlet in SC and they came on the fly! I am not quite sure how I pulled that off because I was trying to catch specs, but they were a blast on my 8 weight. Good thing you have a hobie for both of those goals!

Mr Catfish- I have a whole box of poppers that I lug from spot to spot and they taunt me, I need to cross that off my list badly. I think we can definitely find you a 30'' fish this year, but as you said, I better watch what I say and not jinx it! This year was a good year of crossing goals off, most of them kayak related. Lake Conway was on my list of places to come down to, but things never seemed to turn on from what I heard so I stuck to the bridge. I need to hit that area more this year for sure.

Comment

ahh redfish12 ive been checking places to go floundering for a while, parkers creek, foley creek, quinby, willis wharf and onancock all look pretty good. last week in april should be prime time for big flounder.
                  chimo i cant believe you havent caught a croaker what a blast on LT, we'll have to work on that this summer

Comment

Let's go! Maybe that should be the April M&G, sounds more reliable than the flats due to all the fluctuations with weather and water level/coloration.

Chimo- they may ruin you on rock! It's hard to beat a double header of nice sized croaker...

Comment

i think susky would be better in march, late march if water temps cooperate. i think willis wharf looks good i'll look into accommodations for the last weekend in april. i know grady black is interested in a flounder trip also. definitely bring fly rods wouldnt it be a blast to hook up a 20"+ flounder on a fly rod

Comment

I want a big stripper on the flats during catch and release...40+"

I'd like to catch a 4+ lb bass

Get some more walleye.

Catching a snakehead would be great.

I also want to catch a muskie. We didn't get one when we went to PA in November.

Has anyone seen clips of the giant groupers? I'm pretty sure I'd die trying to catch one of those, but it may be worth it.

In general, I'm looking to catch as many different species as possible, plenty of which I've never gotten yet.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

Cool thread...

My goals:

1) Wander the shores of Curacao (going end of Feb) and catch anything on my own
                          2) Flats trip and catch stripers on the fly rod (not putting a target size on 'em but I do mean striperS as in plural )
                          3) Catch a snakehead
                          4) Chesapeake Bay sleigh ride. Big striper preferred but a cow nose ray will work!

Surf, "Foley" Creek?!?! I gotta fish there! Just say when.

Bob, Great looking pup. Enjoy raising him. I'm sure he'll be a terrific companion!

Comment

ok foley creek it is, the weekend of april 30. i think i'll take a the 29th off so i can get 2 good days on the water. check out Va DEQ seaside water trail they have all the good spots listed. i think capt zeds in wachapreague is having their flounder tournament then so we should stay away from there due to all the boat traffic

Comment

checked the comfort inn olney va 85 per nite, if anyone can find a better deal great we need to book before everything is taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X