2011 Fishing Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Fishing Tournament

Have been doing some research on fishing tournaments, with help from Redfish12 and jffoley. Need to decide on location. Tentativley planned for 2nd Saturday in Aug. Appreciate some input.

Bay Bridge - Hemmingways - is one possibility, always fish around, usually bigger fish. Central location. There could be a lot of boat traffic, I have read some posts from members who have some concern about fishing the bridge.

Ferry's Cove, Lowes Wharf - eastern bay between St. Michaels and Tilghman Island is second possible spot. Fish maybe a little harder to find, rock, bluefish, croaker and perch can be found closer to shore. Most would have to travel further. The area is a lot more sheltered, good area for new kayakers if they want to stay in 5-10 ft experienced kayakers can venture out onto the easten bay around Poplar Island.

We realize catching fish is important but participation, safety and having a good time is the main reason we are getting together.
    Attend only at Bay Bridge
    42.86%
    Attend only at Ferry's Cove, Eastern Bay
    0.00%
    Attend at either location
    57.14%
    Prefer different location then either of these
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

I am voting for the Bay Bridge, but your concerns are very valid. In addition to there being the possibility of big water, there are also a ton of boats out there in the summer that add to the difficulty of paddling around out there.

If we were to work on it now, might be possible to contact Hemmingway's and see if they would allow us to launch from there, and maybe do some sort of food/award event after in the outside portion. Not sure how fancy the new place will be though. Maybe Sandy Point makes more sense?
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Also, how will Hemmingways or the other businesses in that area take to a large number of vehicles parked there. It may be different than just a few kayakers. Just a thought.

Comment

I thought Hemmingways was closed? On my last drive that way (less than 2 weeks ago) it was all boarded up, sans signage. If so, I wonder what the parking lot situation will be in the future. It was never a problem when the restaurant was open; though the # of kayakers was relatively sparse at any given time.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I believe Hemmingways was purchased by the marina will re-open in March under a new name. Someone at the Jan. M&G mentioned that they launched there after the sale, new owners let him launch. I suggest approaching the new owners sometime this spring make sure that kayakers are still welcome. Don't want to abuse it and get kicked out completely.

If we hold a tournament there, will definatley get permission, if the marina now owns it, there will be plenty of parking. They already hold a big boat show.

As to the parking etc. Been doing some research most tournaments allow multiple launch sites as long as you fish within designated area. The number of launch ramps will depend on the number of entrants in the tournament. Have to be at the Captain's meeting before tournament and make sure you have enough time to make the check-in before tournament closes.

Comment

cool, thanks for the info!
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
            X