Algonkian 7/9 & White Flyng Insects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algonkian 7/9 & White Flyng Insects

Fished today with Roney and John Foley at Algonkian from 7 to 10:30am. Cloudy, calm day with a few sprinkles. Water was stained with visibility about 2'.

River was covered with tiny (1/8") white flying insects. Where the insects were the thickest on the surface, smallies were sucking them down with great regularity...as were some carp too. Anyway, we caught a ton of smallies, but most were small with only about 20% of the fish between 12" - 15'. Most of the fish were caught on 3" Rapala floating minnow lures. Just had to watch the surface, see where the fish were eating the flies, and try to land your lure nearby. Almost every well-placed cast produced a fish. Sorry, but no pictures as the fishing was too much fun to stop for pictures.

Does anyone know what the white insects might have been? Not sure how long this hatch lasts, but when it occurs, fishing is great.

Bruce
    p.s. same message posted on Pacemaker Forum...

I believe they are white miller flies.

Comment

I fished Algonkian Sun. 9:00 to 2:00 and didn't see any flies or just wasn't enough to really notice . Maybe all the Jet skies , wave runners, jet boats, pleasure boats and anything else that had a motor , had something to do with it . What a zoo !! Never again . Believe it or not , the fishing was pretty good considering all the noise . All small with a few over 14'' and 15''.
      Last edited by Jig Monster; 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM.
      John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Water was dead calm yesterday. No wind blowing and NO boats or jet skis. That's why it was easy to see these insects.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          I believe they are white miller flies.
          DM - That's what I thought too at first. But white millers are big honk'in mayflies, much bigger than 1/8". Also, they make their appearance only at dusk by the millions.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Gotcha HJS, you are right on. Didn't catch the small size in the original post.

Comment

I believe they were Trico's. Very small mayfly:

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/08/...#axzz2YeStkXTH

http://blog.maryland-flyfishing.com/?p=333

http://www.wvangler.com/west-virginia-streams.html

Comment

I have been on the Upper P when the White Millers were so thick it looked like a snowstorm. They are BIG Mayflies. Maybe about as big as a #8 or #10 dry fly. All the hatches I have been privy too happened at night about 30 minutes to 1 1/2 before sunset. I don't recall every seeing WM's out in the morning or mid day.

When they are on, it is a sight to behold.
                better.
                Gald you got into some fish. I have fished the Algonkian stretch recently but have fished just downstream several ties, and the smaller fish are abundant. Larger fish have been much harder to come by so far in that area. I think the Lander , POR, and Whites Ferry stretches have been fishing better.
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I think John is right. The tricos match the size and color of what I saw. And tricos hatch in the mornings in July so that would be correct. Mystery solved...
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                    I have been on the Upper P when the White Millers were so thick it looked like a snowstorm. They are BIG Mayflies. Maybe about as big as a #8 or #10 dry fly. All the hatches I have been privy too happened at night about 30 minutes to 1 1/2 before sunset. I don't recall every seeing WM's out in the morning or mid day.

When they are on, it is a sight to behold.
                    better.
                    Gald you got into some fish. I have fished the Algonkian stretch recently but have fished just downstream several ties, and the smaller fish are abundant. Larger fish have been much harder to come by so far in that area. I think the Lander , POR, and Whites Ferry stretches have been fishing better.
                    Runnin,
                    I agree with your opinion regarding fish size. Most of the Algonkian smallies are smaller, but they sure are abundant. And I like that stretch because it's better and safer on my Hobie Revo. I do fish the Lander area, but only with my paddle kayak as it has areas that can damage the Hobie if I'm not VERY careful.
                    Bruce

Comment

Working...
                    X