Handling Fish from the Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Fish from the Bay

Yakers are closer to the fish they catch .......... when in the Yak they are flopping around close to bare legs, hands and arms. A biologist a couple of years ago did an experiment that showed the bay dirtier than an unflushed toilet. Obviously, this breeds some very nasty microbes and viruses that can be very hard to treat.

Suggestions are to do your best not to handle the fish if possible and IMMEDIATELY treat a cut or puncture with a very powerful treatment such as a surgery prescrub etc. .........

Here is a post I saw on Tidalfish that covered this ......... the pictures are not pretty

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...l-handlng-fish!

Be careful out there !!!!!

Wow that's scary good thing I saw this...where in the bay is the affected? or is it the whole bay?

I saw a good way to store antibiotics on YT using drink straws. It looks like a space saver and can fit in your tackle box.
    skip to 5:38
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Is it (past) time to start wearing some kind of fishing gloves? Who doesn't get stuck once in a while with a hook or a sharp fin spine?

That is some very scarey stuff - especially when he talked about the possibility of amputation!

I was hoping to not "baby" my hands and to just allow callouses to form as they wish, from paddling. I tried wearing the UV blocking gloves (fingerless) I have, but they are partially made of a cloth material that the hooks would get caught on every now and then.

Anyone wear gloves that they would recommend?
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
      X